Thanks Again - Shino x Reader

Requested By: inuzukatrash4210

Prompt: "I just feel like everyone forgot about me..."

TW: none

Shino x Reader

(Not following the Naruto plotline)

WC: 1200~ (short as heck)

I'mma be honest, I'm not a fan of the way this turned out, I just wanted to update so y'all didn't think I was dead or something.

[Unedited]
---

It was like a weird ache. A yearning of my soul, I just wanted attention of any sort.

Yeah, sure, I went on missions with my team, and we talked there, but those two are always so focused. Not an interesting bone in their bodies.

In fact, we had just finished a mission. I was laying in my bed, on my side, in my lonely apartment. There was no sound, besides the soft humming of the fan that usually blew cold air onto my face when I slept. It was time to get up. We got back last night, I have a mission to report on.

The report wasn't long or super informational, all we did was escort someone who wouldn't even give their name. I couldn't tell why though. No one came after us, and in all honesty, the guy we were escorting probably didn't need us.

I changed into my regular Chunin attire, and fixed my hair, all before leaving my apartment. I locked the door behind me, deciding that I would stay out for a while and just walk around.

I made my way to the Hokage's office, quietly humming to myself. There was no particular tune, just random notes. The door to the office was open, so I walked right in.

"Ma'am," I greeted, giving her the file that contained the report.

"Good morning, (y/n). From what I hear, your mission was a success?"

"Yes ma'am. No trouble whatsoever." Tsunade stared at me for a moment, studying my face, most likely how I held myself.

"Are you okay? You seem off," she claimed, resting her chin on her laced fingers.

"M'lady, I don't think you have the time to be-" Shizune started.

"Shizune, as the Hokage, it is my job to talk to my shinobi, and make sure they're well and fit to work. If even one of them is unwell, they can jeopardize the safety of the village. So again, (y/n), how are you?"

"I'm alright, ma'am. Thank you for your concern, I think I'm just a little tired. Though it was a relatively easy mission, it was a long one. I'm sure some rest will help," I explained. Though, part of me wanted to just tell her how lonely I had been feeling. But then again, what could she do about it?

"If you're sure- oh! Team 8!" Tsunade welcomed team 8 into her office.

"Ma'am," Kiba greeted with a smile.

"I assume by the looks of it your mission went well?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Good, then I expect the report in by Monday morning. Dismissed," she said. I started to leave too. "Wait, Shino, actually, you stay. I need to talk to you about something."

Shino turned and went back in, closing the door behind him. We live in the same complex, so I decided to wait to walk with him, assuming he was going home. I would walk him home then go out.

After a few minutes, he walked out, just as stoic as ever. "Are you heading home?" He asked. I nodded, though I wasn't really going home yet, and together we left.

We walked in silence, an abnormal thing for us to do. Or, me at least. I'd say that normally, I like to talk, and weather or not Shino said anything, he would listen.

"(Y/n), you're awfully quiet today." He pointed out.

"Hmm? Oh. Sorry."

"Are you alright? It's unlike you to stay so silent."

"And it's unlike for you to talk so much," I chuckled. He glared over at me, his head slightly cocked. "Okay, okay, fine. I guess... I guess I feel like everyone forgot about me."

"Hmm. I know how that feels, believe me," he responded quietly. "But what makes you feel that way? I know for sure I haven't forgotten you."

I don't know why, but that sentence made my cheeks burn.

"...I...I guess it's because no one, really talks to me, or... Invites me to go anywhere. Sometimes I just walk around by myself in the village, and see people together and wish that I could be like... That."

Shino stayed quiet for a moment, obviously thinking.

"Actually, I don't think I'm going home right now."

"Uh?" He grabbed my wrist, startling me from the sudden contact, and pulled me along. I smiled slightly, and shifted my hand into his. "Where are we going?" Shino shrugged.

"Around." And that's when it hit me. Shino isn't just my friend. I have feelings for Shino. My face turned bright red, and my heart started beating faster. Maybe I feel forgotten because he was out of town on a mission for the past few months, and I missed him.

"S-shino?"

"Yeah?"

"I- thank you."

"I like you too, (y/n)."

"I didn't say-"

"You didn't have too. I already figured it out, now come on."

I shifted my hand again, and intertwined our fingers happily. We didn't do much, just walked around the village, together.

Or... Maybe I didn't just miss him. Maybe I genuinely thought everyone forgot about me. He was just proving me wrong.

At sunset, he decided he was going to take me out to dinner, and called the whole day a date. Everything was happening so suddenly, and though I wouldn't have said no, it's like I had no option to decline.

After dinner, he took me to a park, only dimly lit by street lamps, and the unusually bright stars. We sat at the base of a tall tree, and kept our eyes up.

"I already said it, but thanks again for tonight."

"...I meant the whole thing, too. I didn't take you on a date just because I don't want you to feel forgotten, but also because I do really like you a lot." I scooted closer to him and leaned my head on his shoulder.

"I'm glad. In both ways. It was nice to not be alone this time, and... Yeah. I guess I like you too," I turned my head so my chin was on his shoulder and I was looking at him. "it's dark now, couldn't you take your glasses off?"

"...I could."

I smiled and reached up, pulling the shades away from his face to see his magnificently sharp and dark eyes.

"I always forget what normal colors look like with those on. Everything is so dark, but with them off, I cant help but stare at you," he whispered, slowly getting closer to my face. I nervously did the same until our lips met for just a second before pulling away.

"Maybe we should head home before it gets too late," I suggested, standing up. He followed along, and grabbed my hand.

"Before that... I should ask you if you would want to go out again soon?"

"I would love that," I looked to the ground. "I really would."