Balcony Strangers - Naruto x Reader

[specifically that Naruto^^^ he's so cute as a young adult, I-]

Requested By:  n/a
I promise to get back on top of requests soon! sorry for the delay!

Prompt: https://youtu.be/53GIADHxVzM
"She Used to be Mine" from Waitress.

TW: none

Naruto x reader

(Not following the Naruto plotline)

WC: 2623

[completely unedited]

—––
It had been a particularly long day for (y/n). And though they had never actually spoken, they were neighbors, of sorts. From Naruto's plant filled apartment, he had a perfect view of (y/n)'s balcony, and into her apartment.

Of course, this had led to short interactions early in the morning, waving to each other while eating breakfast, quick smiles, and the occasional "sitting outside and watching the stars at 3:00 a.m." the usual stuff. Though, there was something Naruto had never seen or heard before.

Again, (y/n) had a pretty rough day. After she had gotten home from a mission, she was supposed to meet with her boyfriend, but as soon as she did, her boyfriend decided to break up with her. She lost her headband, and a replacement is upwards of expensive. On top of all of that, just before she left for her latest two week mission, her cat passed away. (Naruto didn't even know that she had a cat.)

So, in a trialing moment, she had cried, and tried to sleep, and did her best to forget her worries, but nothing seemed to clear her mind. It was a matter of getting over the fact that things just weren't going her way. After a while of wallowing in her sadness and frustration, she turned on some music, and began cleaning her apartment. See now, the one thing she forgot, is that her windows were open, and so was the balcony door. And so happened to be Naruto's too.

"It's not simple to say, but most days, I don't recognize me," her voice started out as almost a hum, only heard to her. "That these shoes and this apron, that place and its patrons." She continued around, picking up spare blankets and folding them. "Taking more than I gave them." This is where her voice began picking up. Naruto couldn't quite hear exactly what she was singing, but he knew that somebody was singing.

"It's not easy to know I'm not anything like I used to be, although it's true," He still couldn't make out exactly what it was, but he heard emotion pour out of the soft sound. "I was never attentions sweet center, I still remember that girl."

The first string of words he could fully hear met his ears in delight,

"She's imperfect, but she tries, she is good, but she lies," the music felt soft and bittersweet, though he didn't understand what it meant. "She is hard on herself. She is broken and won't ask for help."

His curiosity got the best of him, and he wandered out to the balcony to pinpoint where the sound was coming from. "She is messy, but she's kind, she is lonely most of the time, she is all of this mixed up and baked in a beautiful pie."

Naruto couldn't understand what it meant, this was the first time he had ever heard the song. But it did feel... sad to him.

"She is gone, but she used to be mine."

Naruto was finally able to find where it was coming from, (y/n)'s apartment. She was still cleaning, at this point she had moved on to dusting and fixing pillows. Naruto could just see part of what she was doing, but continued to watch.

"It's not what I asked for sometimes life just slips in through a back door, and carves out a person and makes you believe it's all true," she sang, with more passion, feeling the words pass through her lips. Naruto leaned on the railing of his balcony to try and hear even better, or maybe get a clearer view of (y/n).