Less Alone - Shikamaru x Reader

Requested By: n/a

Prompt: "When was the last time you slept?"

TW: death of parents

Shikamaru x reader

(Not following the Naruto plotline)

WC: 1284

—––

Your eyes glazed over at the sight of an orange and pink painted sky. The death of your parents hurt too much and made it difficult to focus on anything. So, in an attempt to rest, because sleeping didn't work, you decided to zone out for a while.

The grass below you was soft and long, you could hear it rustle in the wind. Your mind turned to their faces.

"Why didn't you save us?" You couldn't tell the difference between the two voices. "Or come to our funeral?" The other whispered.

"I'm sorry, okay! I wanted to, but I couldn't?" You screamed at the top of your lungs, squeezing your eyes closed, tears dripping from your face. "I'm so sorry mom, dad," your voice turned to a whisper, realizing how loud you were.

There were footsteps behind you, you weren't inclined to see who it was. "(Y/n)?" Oh. It was Shikamaru. Not that you knew him well, it was the early stages of becoming friends, and he never put any effort into making time for you, of all people.

"What do you want?" You grumbled back, picking at the grass.

Your eyes explained it all to him. You were off, and he could see it.

"When was the last time you slept?" Shikamaru sat next to you on the patch of grass, watching the sun begin to set.

"Too long. I keep getting nightmares," you sighed, resting your chin on your arms, on top of your knees, folded into your chest. "They're haunting me," you let a tear run down your face. "What do I do?"

Shikamaru was silent for a moment, obviously thinking. However, that only lasted a second, before he took another look at you, and open his mouth. "For me, it was just sobbing. I cried for hours until I couldn't cry anymore. Then, I let other people who cared about me in," he sighed. "The whole process is a drag, but over time, it gets better. It always does," you looked over at him, and the cute little smile resting on his mouth.

"Are we friends?" You asked stupidly.

"Of course we are," he placed a hand on your shoulder, completely aware that it would lead to him pulling you closer to him to sob. He sat there patiently as you cried into him, occasionally squeezing you a little tighter.

"I-I'm so sorry," you whimpered, not removing herself from him.

"Don't be," he softly scratched your back. "It's not a drag when it's someone you care about,"

Your heavy breathing started to slow down, and your body relaxed. Your eyes stung from how hard you were crying, it made you more tired than you had been in a while. You scooted away from him, completely embarrassed that you had shown that side of yourself to him, so soon.

"You know, the funny thing about losing people is the fact we think they've left us. In one way or another, they're still around. Maybe it's just in your mind, but as long as you don't forget, you still have them, right?" Shikamaru looked over at you.

"Thanks, Shikamaru," you mumbled, meeting his quiet gaze. Somehow, seeing his face made you smile, even just the slightest bit.

In the time you weren't looking at him, he had pushed his way closer to you. His hand found the one hand that was supporting you, and he placed his over yours. It made your heart race, and your face go hot, which was something you weren't used to. But it was nice.

"No problem," he chuckled softly, looking back out at the sunset, but you couldn't stop staring at him. You hadn't let yourself be vulnerable in front of anyone else. So why him? Why 'Its such a drag' Shikamaru? Someone you weren't even close to, had so easily seen you at your lowest.

You tore your gaze from him to look at the sky, where little stars had begun to appear as the sun sunk below some trees off in the distance. You were able to take a deep breath and relax enough to rest your head on his shoulder.

"I didn't go to their funeral," you said, explaining what had been bothering you.

"I didn't go to Asuma's," he replied. "I think, the closer the person is to you, the harder it is to deal with stuff like that. So, really, it's okay," his head now rested on yours.

No words were able to come after that. Everything was calm and quiet. Peaceful for the first time since that day. Your eyelids grew heavy, feeling his calm breath through his shoulder. It became almost unbearable to try and stay awake. They closed, and just like that, you were asleep.

It was nothing but a dark, calm, endless abyss of rest. It was perfect and refreshing, though, it was only a short nap. It was rest.

After about an hour, you woke up. Shikamaru was in the same place he was before you fell asleep, but he too had fallen asleep.

"Hey Shikamaru," you whispered, looking at the now black sky, glittered with stars. You removed yourself and began to shake him awake. "Shika,"

"Y-yeah?" He finally woke up.

"We should go, it's getting dark," you stood to pull him to his feet.

"Alright, let me walk you home, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah," you chuckled.

He stayed by your side as you walked you to your apartment. Eventually, as you started to made space between you and him, he denied the idea. He grabbed your hand in protest, so you would stay close to him. Your face flushed again.

"You're someone I care about," he looked away after his move, clearly trying to hide his own blush.

"Oh..." You fixed your hands so your fingers were intertwined with his. "Thank you. I care about you too," you smiled.

The rest of the trip there was quiet. You didn't mind holding his hand, in fact, you liked it. It brought along a feeling of safety and comfort, even if it didn't really mean anything.

As you arrived at your house, Shikamaru didn't let your hand go. "You know, if you wanted to, you could come over if you don't feel like being alone," he suggested, squeezing your hand just a little tighter. "I wouldn't have to ask my parents, I live by myself," he continued.

"I... Think I'll just turn in for tonight. You've already made me feel less alone than before. Thank you so much for being there for me," you let his hand out of yours. He stayed at the doorstep for a minute, looking at you in the dim light.

Before you went inside though, you looked away and hugged him. He held you back, resting his chin on your head, slightly rocking you back and forth. You could have stayed in his arms forever, it's warm and safe there, and nothing could get to you. 

After what seemed like hours, you let go and looked up at him, to leave a soft kiss on his cheek. "Thank you, Shikamaru," you sighed, seeing his blushed face. "Goodnight, I'll see you around,"

"Yeah, goodnight, (l/n)," he smiled, and you retreated into your house, feeling significantly better than you had been.

Within the few minutes of being home, you were able to lay down under your blankets on your bed and fall into a deep sleep until morning. For the first time in weeks, you would wake up, fully rested, and able to focus.