Goodbye to a World - Nejiten

Requested By: n/a, I'm just overly emotional rn about Neji and Tenten not becoming cannon >:(

Prompt:

TW: Death, mention of blood

Nejiten

(Following the Naruto plotline)

WC: 527

I know, this is much shorter than my regular multi thousand word work, however this was just a quick idea that I had that made me very sad. No, I do not apologize for what you're about to read, I had to live through writing it, now you have to live through reading it. Also, reminder, I still do character x character requests, if that's what you want. okay bye, love you all.

-304
—––

Tenten, as fast as she could, ran to Naruto and Hinata, pulling Neji out of Naruto's arms as Obito continued to make a mockery out of Naruto.

Neji wasn't dead. Not just yet. He had a minute, Tenten had to be sure of it.

"Tenten," Neji coughed, seeing Tenten in shambles. She wouldn't want to continue fighting after he was gone.

"Don't go," she cried. "I'm not ready for you to go," she held his body closer as it grew colder.

Neji gave a half hearted smile, and began humming, soft words finally spilling out in a quiet song.

"Thank you," he coughed again, but then continued. "I'll say goodbye soon," Tenten shook her head, wanting to deny the harsh reality of what was taking place in her arms. "though it's the end of the world, don't," he was losing his last breaths for her. "don't blame yourself, now," Neji wasn't crying. He held back for Tenten in her weakest moment. "and... if it's true," blood dribbled from his mouth, and he pushed back coughing again, knowing it would only speed up the process of his death. "I will surround you, and give life to a world," he, with all his strength, pulled his hands to Tenten's face, forcing her to look at him. "of our own," his eyes closed, hands slowly drooping to the ground.

Tenten stroked his cheek, knowing he was almost gone.

She began whispering the same tune, Neji strained to hear, with all the sounds of the war continuing on around them.

"T-thank you, I'll say goodbye now," she cried to him, making her words more muffled. "though the end of the world," Neji was still skimming consciousness, keeping a small smile pressed to his lips. "don't blame y-yourself," Lee had finally met the two, and put his hand under Neji's head, and the other on Tenten's back as she finished. "and if it's true, I will surround you," her chest tightened, choking out the last few words. "and give life to a world, that's our own," Neji let out a desperate last breath, never losing his smile.

Both Lee and Tenten brought Neji close. Lee screamed out his name in agony, while Tenten sobbed.

After a minute, Lee collected himself, and gently set him on the ground. Tenten wiped her face with her sleeve while looking at Neji's dead body.

"Tenten," Lee called, as softly as he was able. "We have a war to win, less, we want Neji's sacrifice to be for nothing," Tenten shook her head, knowing Lee was right.

"We'll... We'll come back for you, Neji," she said to the lifeless body. "We have a war to win," she repeated Lee's statement, and turned to Lee, who offered his hand to help her up. "Let's go, Lee," she smiled, pretending as if nothing had ever happened. She wished, nothing had ever happened.

The war continued to rage on. In the end, they won,

in all ways,

but one.