Best Birthday Ever - Rock Lee x Genderneutra!lReader

Requested By: Me! Me! I did! It's the love of my life's birthday today!! Happy birthday, king!! *smooch*

Prompt: SURPRISE PARTY!!!

TW: None! just sappy & cute

Rock Lee x reader

(Not following the Naruto plotline)

Let's just say he's turning 16, for the sake of convenience.

WC: 4148

—––

"(Y/n)!" Lee called from their apartment door. They came out quickly and opened the door, knowing today was a special day. Lee was turning 16, and boy, were they excited. Lee was their best friend at the time, and not only that, but like the way these stories go, (y/n) had developed quite the set of feelings for the sweetest boy in all of the five great nations.

They were still only wearing their pajamas when they opened the door. "Happy birthday, Lee!" they exclaimed, wrapping their arms around him, Lee immediately reciprocating their touch.

"Thank you, (y/n)! I appreciate it! I came by to see if you would come train with me!"

"Of course," they let him out of the hug and grinned. "Let me go change, I'll be ready in just a minute. But you can come in and wait if you'd like," they offered, opening the door a little more. Lee came in, and closed the door behind him. "Okay, I'll be right out."

Asking (y/n) to train was how Lee was trying to show his affection. Spending as much time as he could with them, and as often as he could, alone with (y/n). That was one of the reasons, anyway.

Lee surveyed their apartment, the books on her shelves, the mug on the coffee table. There was also the weights he had gotten them for their birthday a year before, and from the looks of it, they had been getting used plenty, and that made him happy. Someone who shared his interest in getting stronger. That's what made him happy.

The rest of the group of the teens in Konaha at the time, (including (y/n), excluding Naruto and Sasuke) had been planning Lee's party for weeks, because everyone knew that Lee wasn't going to do it himself. He had no clue he was going to even have a party, in fact, so far, other than the quick reminder from (y/n), Lee had almost forgotten it was his own birthday.

The whole group knew (y/n) and Lee had feelings for each other, even if they themselves didn't know. So, Shikamaru, being most of the planner and the one who would set the party plans up without fail, made sure that (y/n) would keep him distracted until the party.

(y/n) came out of their room a few minutes later, dressed in their nicer set of ninja gear, knowing it looked better on them than their usual Chunin attire.

"You ready, Lee?"

Lee didn't, or couldn't reply. He thought (y/n), even if their attire wasn't that different, looked stunning on them. Maybe it was because it was different than usual.

"Lee? you're staring?"

"Oh! I am very sorry! You just look radiant today!"

(Y/n)'s face went red at the compliment, but doing their best to hide it, she crossed to the door. "We should go now," they chuckled, and left.

After 30 minutes of sparring, specifically with weapons to get to know their tools, (y/n) had an idea, sparked by Lee using his nunchaku in their battle.

They were both taking a break, sitting in front of each other while drinking some water, and Lee re-wrapping his forearms and hands.

"What is it, (y/n)? you look like you are thinking."