Bugs and Boys - Shino x Reader

Requested By: @Whathaveibecomerip
(Sorry, The ending isn't exactly what you requested).

Prompt: I just think they're neat," I grinned, and blushed slightly. "I think he's neat," I mumbled under my breath.

TW: none

Shino x reader

(Not following the Naruto plotline)

WC: 2179

—––

I watched as a brightly colored beetle crawled on my hand. "You're my friend, little dude," I hummed, sitting back on the tree base. It was a nice day, I was planning to spend it at the park, looking for bugs. I've always thought they were fascinating, the many types that could be found.

"It's a jewel beetle," I heard a voice from next to me. I looked up to see a boy, probably around my age. "They're known for their iridescent color. Not difficult to spot, but overall, funky little bugs," his voice held no emotion. He was wearing a long white coat and dark glasses.

"That's cool that you know so much about them. I'm (y/n)," I patted the ground next to me.

He sat as he spoke. "I'm Shino Aburame," his hand was in front of him, asking to hold the bug. I let it crawl into the palm of his hand.

"Aburame? I've heard of that clan before," I nodded, seeing a few bugs creep out from his sleeve. "You're one of those insect users, aren't you?"

"Mmhmm," he hummed, not removing his eyes from the beetle. "That doesn't bother you?"

"I think bugs are interesting. There's so many types, and things to learn about. I think it's interesting. Can you tell me more about your clan? I'd love to hear more," I smiled, and saw his eyes twitch toward me, and a hint of pink on his cheeks.

And that's how it all began. We sat under that tree for hours, talking about bugs, and Shino's beetles. He seemed so quiet before, but he had so much interest in the conversation, it's like he couldn't stop. Truthfully, I thought it was kind of adorable.

After about an hour or two of question and answering, my mom started calling me from across the park. Shino stopped talking when he heard my name being called, and saw me perk up.

"Sorry, that's my mom, I'll see you later?"

"Yes. I'll see you later, (y/n)," I got up, and began walking away to my mom.

"Who was that?"

"That's my friend, Shino. He's super cool! He's one of the Aburame bug users!"

"Gross. I don't get why you like bugs so much, they're nasty," she scoffed.

"I just think they're neat," I grinned, and blushed slightly. "I think he's neat," I mumbled under my breath.

Ever since that day, Shino and I have become the best of friends, first talking of bugs, that changed to other things, ended up graduating the academy together that year, and spent our downtime together.

[Time skip - about five years later]

"So? You heard about that dance thing?" Shino asked, letting me rest my head on his stomach.

"Yeah? You going?" My eyes stayed closed.

"About that..." He muttered, making me look at up him. "Would you wanna- maybe-"

A new voice cut him off, Kiba has entered the situation too. "Hey! (Y/n)! There you are!" He exclaimed, running to us. "I was looking for you?"

I sat up from Shino. "What's up?"