Rain - Tenzo/Yamato x Reader

Requested By: @kenmabubblegum02

Prompt: "I guess I'm just going through the motions,"

You always thought you were alone, that was, until he slipped up, letting his emotions take charge & making sure you were safe in more ways than one.

TW: Mentions of a lost friend.

Tenzo/Yamato x Reader

(Not following the Naruto plotline)

WC: 1442

[Unedited]
—––

You hummed to yourself, pretending that everything is alright. Because, it is. It always is.

It's not like your life had turned upside down last week, finding out that your best friend was killed in the line of duty. The only person you cared about was gone, and you didn't seem to express how much it hurt.

But the thing is, you're alone now. The one person who cared for you, is gone, and you have no where to turn. It wasn't that hard to understand, however you couldn't seem to wrap your brain around it.

You weren't a ninja. You went through the training, but decided on a different profession, deciding that the world of shinobi wasn't enjoyable to you after you turned twelve.

It wasn't exactly a difficult week when it came to work, you had promised not to cry if she died. You promised her you knew her job was dangerous, but accepted it. You pretended it was okay, and went on with your work.

The shop you owned was a mix of a bakery and a ninja supplement supplier. You even liked your job, it was better for you personally than spending time taking lives and taking missions. It's supposed to be more stable.

But today it's different. It's a three p.m. on a Saturday afternoon, the air is sticky, and rain poured from the sky. You didn't bring an umbrella to work, simply because the wind broke your last one, and you didn't feel like buying a new one.

There was a paper bag clenched in your left fist, full of her favorite red bean paste buns you planned on eating for dinner.

You couldn't make it home though. About halfway there, your knees began to buckle, and you fell to the ground, tears flooding your eyes. Don't cry. You promised.

You balled your hands into fists, gripping your pants, refusing to wipe away the river of tears flowing from your eyes. "I promised, damnit!" You half yelled in frustration, voice breaking halfway through the sentence.

The air shifted around you, and the rain seemed to stop falling. You opened your eyes and looked around to find yourself under a shield of wood, making the rain drip in front of you.

It hurt. Your chest felt tight as you sobbed, still unsure of how the wooden panel got there. You couldn't even recognize that someone else was there with you, standing in front of you before crouching to look in your eyes.

"(Y/n)," he called, reaching for your hand. You didn't respond though. How could you? You were far too deep into this sobbing match with the sky. You pulled your limbs into each other, tucking them into your chest. "(Y/n)," he said again.

"W-what do y-you want, Tenzo?" You grumbled, finally deciding to look at him with your bloodshot eyes. He sat under the cover from the rain next to you.

"I need to know that you're okay," he placed his hand on your back to comfort you. "And that you know that I'm here for you."

He brought you into a hug, putting his arms around you while you sobbed for a minute, before releasing the jutsu that was covering your head to pick you up. "Let's get you home, I don't want you to catch a cold," he spoke softly as you gripped his clothes, and continued to cry.