Akamaru's Final Breath - Kiba x Veterinarian!reader

Requested By: dotbunny

Kiba x veterinarian!reader

Prompt: it's been such a long time since the war. Kiba never found anyone. Every one of his friends was married with kids. Unfortunately, his girlfriend left him, and poor old Akamaru was on his death bed. Kiba had taken a liking to her and had even been on a date or two with the veterinarian that tended to his dog. He raced to the vet to save his old pup, only to be heartbroken.

TW: death of a pet?

Kiba x veterinarian!reader

(Not following the Naruto plotline)

WC: 1352

—––

"It's okay buddy, let's go, you'll be okay," I quietly sobbed as I struggled to pick Akamaru up, his body almost gone limp.

I rushed us to the vet, Hana being out on a mission to find a pregnant stray dog that had been reported. I was to go to the only other person who matched her in experience.

"Oh. Hello Kiba, were getting close to closing, is it an emergency?" One of the people in the front office asked. In a panic, I held Akamaru above the desk.

"I- I need to see (y/n)!" I exclaimed. As if by some magic, she came out of the back rooms and turned the corner. "(Y/n)! It's-"

"Hey, hey calm down. Bring him back, I'll see if there's anything I can do," she said calmly. I followed her direction and brought him to the usually closed off part of the office. Just seeing her calmed me down slightly.

I set him on the medical table so she could examine him.

"Kiba... You know that Akamaru is getting old," she had her ear pressed to his ribcage, listening for whatever she could. I anxiously held myself, just worried about my pup. "Haven't you thought about it? Akamaru is a big breed of dog, and it's common knowledge that big dogs tend to have shorter life spans," she continued.

I had thought about that too. I knew this day was coming, but accepting it was difficult.

"I- I know! He's just-"

"Your best friend. I know, Kiba. Wouldn't it be better if you let him go? He's suffering from life,"

"There has to be something-"

"Kiba, no." She stated, stepping away from my dog. "It's really painful, I know. But..."

"P-please,"

"Kiba look at me," she commanded, making me look into her eyes. "It's going to be okay. It's better to let him go than watch him like this," I glanced back to my dog, then back to her. "Right?" Her hand moved to my back, knowing it would comfort me.

I nodded, hating the idea of losing him, but she was right. I couldn't let him go on like this. My eyes continue to bud with tears.

"Yeah..." I wiped one of my eyes, before crouching in front of Akamaru. "Akamaru, you are the best boy," I whispered, gently stroking his face. His eyes blinked open for a moment, to lick away one of my tears. "good job, buddy," I placed a soft kiss on his muzzle. His breath tapered off, I saw his eyes lose their color and life.

"Kiba..." (Y/n) whispered, taking my hands and pulling me away from him. I tried to suppress my tears and the pain that I felt. Her arms were around me. "It's okay to cry," I rested my head on her shoulder as I began to sob harder.

[3rd person POV]

Two of the nurses came to check in on Akamaru and Kiba, only to see (y/n) and Kiba on the floor, Kiba sobbing into her. She glanced at the door to see them there.