Twenty-Four

"Hello!!!!" Xavier's chirpy voice says as his arm slings over my shoulders, which is holding my heavy galaxy backpack, full of books. My hands are hanging limp in my coat pockets as I'm walking to the grass patch where Xavier and I eat lunch every day.

"Hi." I say quietly.

"Why so quiet?" He asks as we continue down the path.

I shrug my shoulders and his arm moves up and down with them.

"So? Is suddenly quiet Madilyn going to speak?" He asks. We round the corner of the building and I catch a small glimpse of the grass patch. A colour catches my eye, but I don't pay attention, instead I turn my head and gaze to Xavier, who is looking at me.

"No." I speak and his face takes on a confused expression before he purses his lips at me.

"Really?" Is all he asks.

I tilt my head to the side and shrug my shoulders again, giving him a 'whatever' face.

"Speak!" He complains and brings his arms from my shoulders to wave in front of my face. "Don't leave me hanging! You've been speaking to me during the whole day, but now you are silent!"

I nudge him as we round another corner and are meet by the grass patch occupied by eight girls. Two are wearing the navy blue colour as us, which are Hazel and Dawn. The other six girls look much older and are wearing beautiful sunset yellow uniforms.

Hazel gives me a disgusted look and turns back to a older girl that has midnight black eyes and cropped curly light brown hair.

"And who are you?" A petite girl, with gorgeous short yellow hair and blue-grey eyes. Her voice is way to high pitched and she sounds like a screaming baby with helium in their system.

Xavier looks to me and then back at the helium baby girl. "Sorry, we-uh-we came to eat lunch here. But now it seems it is occupied by people." He says, stumbling over his words and scratching the back of his neck.

"Yeah! So get lost!" The squeaky voiced girl says.

"Geez, Penelope! Give them a break! They are only Year 4's." Another older girls says. This one has a very light brown hair with green streaks in it. Her dark green eyes are focused on the helium girl, now known as Penelope.

"Whatever, Hannah! It's not like they belong here! Like seriously, look at her!" She shouts, pointing a a very slender, pointy finger at me.

"Yeah, just get lost." Hazel says from the back, sounding very bored here.

"Hazel! You can't just kick them out! They did say they where coming here to eat!" The girl, named Hannah, tells Hazel, who doesn't seem to be listening and continues her conversation with the girl with midnight eyes.

"Sorry to bother you. We can leave." Xavier says quickly and grabs my wrist to pull me away.

"Wait!" Hannah says. "We can leave if you want us. We just got bored of our original group and came out here to eat."

Penelope and all the girls look at her.

"Are you insane?" Penelope screams at Hannah.

"No!" She shouts back.

"You just offered up our spot!" Midnight eyed girl sternly says. Her lips are covered in a thick layer of red lipstick and are forming a paper thin line. She stand up and faces Hannah. "We are the oldest in the school! We don't offer our spot to pathetic Year 4's!" She shouts.

"Well, I'm being nice!" Hannah says back.

Midnight eyed girl's hands start to form a black ball around both her hands. It starts to spread up her arms, but stops just below her elbows. And the point of the ball forms a sharp tip.