Twenty-Five

It is the early morning on Saturday and I'm in my room, scrambling around, trying to find something to wear.

I have been recovering from my concussion. And after I woke up, Aaron's face was right in my face, again. It scared me so bad, I fell out of the bed and hit my head again, blacking out. The confusion has lasted longer all because of a freak who wanted to scare me. After I had to stay the night, not comfortable, and was able to leave in the evening. I have been to school and still avoiding Jayden. He has tried multiple times to talk to me, but I won't let him. I know Winter said to try and let him talk, but I'm not ready quite yet.

I look at the clothes that are in my closet and decide on some blue converse, black jeans, a baby pink top paired with a plaid jacket, tying it around my waist.

I leave the closet, satisfied, and walk over to the washroom. I grab my brush and have another staring contest with it.

It won.

I sigh and put it to my hair. I brush carefully and after it is clear of any knots, I try to put it into a ponytail. That fails. I try to put it into a bun. That fail. I try braiding. That fails. French braiding. Fails. I throw my brush out of my room and turn to look back at the mirror.

I lean over the counter and look at myself. My straight black hair is hanging around my face now, framing it and my blue eyes take in my features. I have a soft speckle of freckles along my nose and cheeks. My cheeks have a slight pink tinge to them as if I'm blushing slightly. My nose is smaller and ends in a soft tip.

I sigh and lean away from the mirror, turning to go and receive my brush. Once it is back in the bathroom, I go to the seat against the window and sit. The view is incredible. I can see the buildings surrounding the castle and off into the distance, another round of buildings with a wall surrounding them. I can see a forest off the left and down on the ground, Elementals walk around casually talking to other Elementals.

My eyes zero in on a mother and daughter. I'm high up so their faces are blurred a little, but you could easily tell they are both girls.

The mother looks down at the little girl and I can see a small smile. Then the girl bursts out laughing and clutches her stomach. I smile, remembering when my mom made me laugh like that.

•*•*•

"Madi! Look over there!" My mommy says as we walk down a path that has some trees surrounding it.

I spin my head to where her finger is pointing and strain my eyes to find what she is pointing at.

"What mommy?" I ask her. I look from tree to tree to see only a tree. "What are you looking at?"

We have stopped now and I'm trying to find anything.

"Boo!" My mommy shouts from behind me.

"AHHH!!!" I scream at the top of my lungs. I whirl around looking at a laughing mommy. I glare as hard as I can. "That's not funny." I say to her and start walking again.

"Oh honey! It was so funny!" She laughs and catches up to me.

"No it wasn't." I tell her, looking into the trees and not at her. My arms are crossed over my chest and I don't want to talk or look at her.

"Honey, it was just a joke. I didn't mean to scare you." She tells me, draping an arm over my shoulders and giving them a squeeze. "How about this. We go get frozen yogurt after this." She tells me.

My head snaps towards her and a smile breaks onto my face. "Really?" I ask, eyes wide.

She laughs and looks into my blue eyes. "Yes." She says and flicks my nose.