EPISODE 24

20/11/2019 - Wednesday- At Chennai.

Shiva's P. O. V :

She looked at me through the window with wide open eyes. Her hair was tied above her head into a messy bun. Her face slightly visible from the light inside.

She cut the call and shook her head smiling. She signalled me to wait ten minutes and ran in.

There I was waiting in front of a girl's house, 4:30 in the morning standing under the streetlight ,without any fear of being misjudged as a thief or rogue. I was smiling a lot standing alone. Hari also told me that I am being this smiley because of my sleeplessness.

I hadn't slept the night before. I sat all night with Hari and planned out this day, to be as perfect as possible.

My parents are thankfully out of town. They would have reached Theni by now, and my Amma would start the engagement works as soon as she wakes up. The thought of my engagement triggered the fear which I was trying to hide underneath the happiness.

I know that this is an illusion. Whatever that might happen today will be stored safely under a secret locker of memories which I would hold close to my heart. For one day, even if this is not true, I am free, I am free to choose.

In three days, I would be engaged. But for now, all that matters is being with Aparna. I am scared of breaking her heart. In this stupid wish of mine, I hope she doesn't get affected.

I was praying to God that both of us come out of this day happy and content.

The screech of the gate brought my attention back to the reality. She walked out with a pink jacket and black jeans. She locked the gate and walked quickly towards my bike. Her hair was tied into a  pony tail, with few hairs springing over her forehead.

" Sorry ,i was late, So, where are we going? " She asked, her eyes shining with curiosity. She is doing this for me. Maybe she likes me too, but I know that my wish has hugely influenced her.

" Are you going to say something or stare at me the entire day? " She asked raising her eyebrows.

I shook my head and handed her the helmet. She got it from me and looked inside. She dug out the map that I had hidden.

While she was busily looking at it, I wore my helmet and started my bike.

" Wait! What is this? " She asked pointing to the map.

" Sit first, you will figure out on the way " I said. She nodded and sat behind me in my bike.

I drove out as soon as she wore her helmet. It was freezing cold, added with the mist and the chill from the rain yesterday.

The road was free from the crowd, it was still dark.

Aparna was trying to figure out the map, while I went on the road.

The map had all the places that we were going to visit marked in stars, numbered in the order of  visit and none of the places were written. The map was clean without any text.

" I can see that this is the map of the Chennai city. But I don't understand the numbers, where we are! " She said to me.

" We started in 1 , now you are supposed to direct me to 2 " I said.

" Okay! Okay! We are going old school.I think we should take the next left! " She said.

I nodded back and followed her directions.

In few minutes, I felt Aparna tightly holding my shoulders. In the rear view mirror , I looked at her smiling at me. I smiled back instinctively.

" Is it okay if I talk? " She asked bringing her head closer to mine.