EPISODE 27

20/11/2019 - Wednesday- At Chennai.

Aparna's P. O. V :

Shiva walked back into the snow room with another person who gave us the coat and boots.

I was praying that Shiva should find the chain. I can't imagine how Prerna would feel if I tell her that I lost it. It was our lucky charm for years. I was walking nervously outside the snow room.

After few minutes, the regret of losing the chain vanished, and the worry about Shiva came in.

He hasn't come out yet. I was standing outside rubbing my jacket with my hands.

I saw someone running out of the snow room, it was the boy that went in with Shiva. I walked to him hastily.

Shiva came out after him shaking. His face was pale and his jacket was covered with a thin layer of snow. I quickly took off his cold jacket and placed mine over him.

He was looking down breathing heavily. I hugged him to comfort him. After few minutes, he patted me.

" Sorry, Aparna, I couldn't find the chain " He said shaking under his breadth, disappointment clearly visible in his tone.

I slowly released him and looked at his face. His face was no more pale as before.

" I can understand how much you need it, but I am sorry that I can't find it. I think I should go in again to check " He said turning to the snow room.

" Are you mad? You will fall sick! Let's just forget about it! " I said to console him. I won't let him go in and freeze again.

The chain was definitely precious , but at this moment, somehow I don't feel like it anymore.

Shiva turned to the ticket counter and asked them if they could help. They said, if they find the chain, they would call Shiva. They registered all the details about the chain.

We both walked out of the mall with sullen faces.

As we reached the bike, Shiva turned to me with sad face.

" I am really trying to not feel that you lost that chain because of me, but I still keep getting that regret. How should I stop that? " He asked.

" It was not at all your fault Shiva. If my sister was here , she would tell me that, she could always buy me another chain, but that I couldn't get back the moments we had in there. " I said.

He smiled a bit and started his bike. The time was close to five in the evening. I sat back on his bike and this time he drove without my navigation.

He stopped his bike in front of an old building in T nagar. The building had a rusted board hanging in front.

" Shiva and associates - Structure and Design consultancy "

Wait, is this his office?

Shiva was patiently looking at my reaction.

" Is this the infamous office you own? " I asked laughing.

" Yes, my very own firm. Come in " He said dragging me inside.

Shiva opened the glass doors in front and turned on the main switch.

The office was lit with tubelights. The space was small but cozy. The tables were the conservative style working areas.

One side of the office had widows to the small garden outside. An old Ac was hanging on the wall under dust.

" What's your view on my office? " Shiva asked curiously.

" This place is perfect! " I said smiling.

He had small happy tears on his eyes,which he shook away.

" How many people work here? " I asked.

" Two main engineers, two interns, one pune. " He said.

I walked inside the office and found a back door. I tried opening it but it was stuck.

" You need to pull it harder! " Shiva said and opened the door for me.

The back door lead to a small semi open portico, which lead to the common toilet. The space was huge, but totally unused. Two huge mango trees were nearby.

We both walked in and Shiva closed the door again.

" Any suggestions from Architect Aparna? " He asked sitting on his rolling chair.

I sat on the table and looked at him.

" Your office has a really good working environment. But, I feel, this space can be so much better with little alterations " I said.

" Oh, really, what is it? " He asked.

" The open worktable idea is good. But you need a small private conference area with a four seater table , in that right corner, with frosted glass panels. And a small waiting area outside.

The walls need to be repainted and wood panels can be done. New lights to be added, We can also have beautiful indoor plants.

The backyard space can be used as a dining area if proper tables are provided. The garden view inside the office can be more big and some good AC. " I said and looked at Shiva.

He was looking at me with huge eyes.

" I am sorry if I went overboard! " I said defensively.

He shook his head laughing. He stood up and moved closer to me. I tightened my grip on the table. He stood before me with a small grin on his face.

" You don't know how much happy I am! For your constructive criticism! " He said.

" Oh really? When was the last time you got one? " I asked.

" Never. The last time I asked someone to crit this space, they told me that I should go back to my dad's shop " He said looking down.

" Was that Anjali? " I asked.

He nodded silently looking down. That's his reality. Something that we both are trying to ignore relentlessly.

I got down and walked away from him. I opened the windows wider and waited for the reality to sink into my wandering mind.

It was getting dark outside. The sun had already set.

Shiva walked back to me and stood near me. I looked at him sideways.

" You don't know how much I wish it was you and not her. " He murmured.

I turned back to the window. He bent in closer to me.

" Listen, I always want you to be happy and smiling. Let me carry this regret and everything. You have this entire life ahead of you. You are really a free bird. I can't be thankful enough for the distance that you have come for me!

But though we run miles, we come to the same point, we are running in circles. The circle of my hopeless life. I am happy for what you did. But it can't change anything. " He said.

" Why is it always about you? " I asked nearly shouting.

" What? " He asked slightly moving away.

" Why do you think you are the only one with the regret? I am more hopeless than you Shiva. Because, I have fallen for you, falling more deeper every minute , even after knowing that you won't catch me.

You are at least able to accept certain things, but me, I am still trying to convince myself that this day will be the last one. " I said.

He hugged me and I hugged him back. We both knew that, this would be one of the last moments, where the world didn't matter, nobody did except us. Us in this tight hug, the warmth he had, his strong hold and nothing else.

I took a sharp breadth in, realising that, I have already crossed past the safety line of romantic feelings and now I am into something much more dangerous, something that could cause permanent damage.

Was I in love?