Flashback number 3

18/7/2018-  Saturday - 4 pm - Bangalore

Aparna's P. O. V :

" Got all the certificates! " Michael said as we both walked out of the college front gate for one last time.

" I can't believe that we are already done with 5 years! " I said.

" By the way, what's next? What are your plans? " He asked excited.

" I have sent my portfolio to some firms here and also to Chennai , waiting for their reply " I said.

" Come on! Is it that shades office? " He asked.

" Yeah, I would be happy if I get there. But who knows " I said.

We reached the bus stop.

" It would be their loss if they reject you " He said looking at me.

" I think you are being over confident " I said laughing.

" Trust me, I know your value, even more than you do " He said with a chuckle.

My bus came and I waved to Michael. He waited till the bus left and walked back.

It was a calm ride from my college to my home. The bus stopped at the arts college stop and a group of 5 boys rushed in.

One of them looked tall with a strong frame. His hairstyle resembled to someone I was searching for. He was standing with his back to me. Suddenly I was curious to see his face, I moved slightly to get a better view.

As he turned towards my side, I sat back with a slight disappointment. I bit back my smile and shook my head.

I am going insane.If I remember well, his name was Shiva. He was in Chennai, why would he be in Bangalore?, Maybe.

It was so strange of myself to remember someone that I haven't even met properly, to remember them for more than an year. I should stop looking for that idiot.

I got down at the bus stop and walked to my home.

As I stepped in, I heard my mom shouting at my dad, which had become their regular routine.

" She didn't respect my words. She has brought down the family name. And you are supporting her? " Mom shouted.

" Rajiv is a really nice person. Stop complaining about it. Move on. " He said and walked back to his room.

Mom turned to me.

" And you, you are no longer going to meet Prerna. Do you understand? " Mom shouted at me.

I walked upstairs ignoring her words.

I took bath and started rearranging my certificates.

I opened my mail to check if someone had replied.

To my surprise, there was a mail from design shades. I quickly opening it, praying silently that they should accept my files.

And it was the same. They had asked me to join next week, under the Junior architect post. I was doing a victory dance inside my room.

My phone rang and it was Michael.

" You were right! I got the job! " I screamed to him.

" Congratulations Aparna. By the way, I have some happy news too. " He said.

" What is it? " I asked.

" But first, look at your balcony! " He said.

And there he was, standing on my balcony waving at me. He was covering his head with a hoodie.

I quickly opened the door and let him in.

" What are you doing here? " I asked pinching him.

" I really wanted to look at your face when I say that I got a job in Design shades too! " He said quickly.

I didn't know what to say.

" Wait, what? " I asked confused.

" Yes, Ma'am. I am not letting you go. " He said and shook his head.

" What I mean is, after being your best friend from high school to college, it wouldn't be good, if i am not going to be there in your firm. " He said taking a step closer to me.

" Not willing to break the streak? " I asked laughing.

" Sometimes, I wish, you start seeing the reality before you and not living in your dreams! " He said taking another step closer to me.

I took a step back and looked at him confused.

" I am in reality! " I said folding my arms.

" We'll see how much you are in reality, soon" He said laugh.

" Aren't you scared of coming here like this? What if you get caught? " I asked to change the topic.

" If I get caught, I will be asked to have dinner by your dad. He won't be happy to send off his best friend's son empty stomach, unlike his daughter who is very concerned on pushing me out " He said.

" Dinner, some other day. Now, get out. " I said pointing to the open balcony door.

" Whatever! " He said.

He suddenly kissed me on my cheek and ran out to my balcony.

I ran after him to beat him black and blue. But he quickly climbed down through the pipeline.

Before jumping out of the compound wall, he looked at me, keeping his hands inside his pocket.

" Sorry, for the quick peck, You are so kanjoosi! " He said.

" Fuck off! " I said and signalled him to get out.

Within minutes his tall figure vanished from the backyard.

I locked the door and laid on my head.

I started smiling thinking about Michael. He will never stop doing these things. His grey eyes and his wicked smile flashed through my mind.

Maybe he was right, I should start living in reality.