> 162 <

Turn it. Just turn the damn knob, Yoongi. It's not that hard.

Yoongi feels a light squeeze on his hands. "It'll be okay," Jimin guarantees, "Daewon isn't there."

He takes a deep breath in, then out as he finally manages to open the door. He walks into the room with Jimin's hand in his, the scent of heavy sanitizers and disinfectants greeting both boys.

Yoongi slowly approaches the person he's been so afraid to see after all these years, feet feeling heavy as if they were chained to boulders. This was the person he's always looked up to, someone who cared for him so much. The person who gave him the reason why he was still able to stand next to Jimin today.

"Hyung," Yoongi's voice instantly cracks. He never found the strength to visit, not even once after the accident. He knew he wouldn't be able to bear seeing the elder look so... fragile. As if his bones were made of crayons that would easily break, as if he was a bubble that would pop the moment you make contact with it. And he was right. It hurt him too much to see the latter like this.

The man wakes up from his shallow slumber, eyes adjusting to the light coming from the bright sun's rays emitting through the big hospital windows. He takes a moment to look at Yoongi before he smiles and speaks, "You've grown quite a lot."

Yoongi's eyes brim with tears for the nth time that day. He feels Jimin let go of his hand and pat his shoulder as the younger goes to take a seat on the chair in the corner of the room, giving him a fond smile to remind him that things would get better.

Yoongi suddenly drops on the floor to bow with all his might, shoulders shaking as he starts to sob. "I'm s-so sorry hyung it should h-have been m—"

"Don't."

Yoongi stops and snaps his head up, "W-what?"

"Don't apologize. Get up."

Yoongi nods dumbly and does what he's told and stands back up on his feet again, brushing off his knees that gained dust from the hospital floor.

The elder gestures for Yoongi to come closer and grabs his wrist when he does.

"What I did is nothing you should ever feel sorry for. It was never your fault, and knowing you, you probably carried that burden for so long. But now it's time to let it go." He sighs, "I know my brother blamed you for it and made you feel like it was on you, but it never was, and never will be. I did what I did not just for you, but for me too. Do you know how horrible I'd feel if I just stood there and watched you? If I did nothing to protect you?"

Yoongi couldn't even speak. He had so much he wanted to say, but couldn't find the ability to translate them into words.

"If you died that day, I wouldn't have been able to live with it. I love you just as much as I love my brother. Because remember? You are a brother to me, Yoongi. So please, just do one thing for me."

Yoongi sniffs, "W-what is it, hyung?"

The older lays his other hand on top of the one that was gripping Yoongi's wrist. "Forgive yourself. Set yourself free. We're here now, aren't we? I want you to be happy. Happy for real."

Yoongi's eyes find Jimin's, which also started to get glassy. Jimin smiles at him again. The smile that always seemed to solve every problem he had. Yoongi nods, "Yeah. Happy."

Yoongi bends down to squat next to the bed, "Thank you, hyung. For everything."

He gets his ash-grey locks ruffled and he couldn't help but to finally grin. Boy, did he miss that.

- - -

Hello i know it's been awhile I'm sorry 🥺 We are SUPER close to the end of this story, so I'd like to thank you all of the patience you've had for it over the past YEAR. Today is also my birthday so I thought I'd also give you guys a little gift too :")))

While you wait for the finale of this story, feel free to go check out the new au i put out for quarantine (bc sadly it's hitting us all hard), it's yoonmin and the first 110 parts are already published!! Hopefully it keeps you busy during these times. I hope you guys are well and staying healthy! 💖

 I hope you guys are well and staying healthy! 💖