CHAPTER ONE

"I'll have a rum and coke please." She said over the bar, slamming her purse onto the hard wood. She looked around the room, taking it all in. She had just moved to Seattle all the way from England to work as a paediatric surgeon for Seattle Grace - the hospital her brother worked at as a trauma surgeon - she hadn't spoken to him for years and he probably thought she was dead like her other sister - Megan who had gone missing years ago. 

"Unusual to see a new face here. What's your name?" She heard a voice next to her and turned her head to see a man sat next to her, ordering a beer. He had short brown hair and piercing brown eyes - she found herself getting lost in them slightly before remembering her hard exterior.

"Vanessa." She said coldly, turning away from him and taking a sip of her drink.

"I'm Alex." He persisted, holding his hand out for her to shake, "Alex Karev."

She looked in his direction and studied his face. She worked in the psych department in her last hospital before Seattle so she could read him very easily. She could tell he was confident - arrogant even, impulsive and mean but she also observed a hidden compassion within him. He loved his friends more than anything - he just wouldn't show it. Maybe he wouldn't be such a bad person to have as a first friend.

"So do you have a last name or is it just Vanessa?" He asked cheekily, smirking at her slyly.

"Hunt. Vanessa Hunt." She said and watched in amusement as his eyes widened and lifted to her red-tinted hair. 

"You-you're..." He fumbled over his words and she laughed, nodding.

"You work at Seattle Grace?" She asked and he nodded, taking a sip of his beer, "With my brother - Owen?" He nodded again, rolling his eyes slightly before remembering who he was talking to and turning to her.

"Sorry - I don't really work with him much but he just seems a bit..."

"Old fashioned? Grumpy? Intolerable?" She suggested, sipping her drink while Alex laughed, raising his eyebrows and drinking his beer.

"Something like that." 

"Well Alex, it looks like I'll talk to you then." She said, turning to him slowly.

"Great."

***

Vanessa opened her eyes and saw unfamiliar surroundings. She bolted upright, looking around and seeing one very naked Alex Karev next to her. She facepalmed. What was she thinking jumping in bed with the first person she saw in Seattle?

She looked at the clock - 4 am - if he had roommates then they would be asleep so she could just sneak out and talk to him at work tomorrow, the whole 'never happening again' speech.

She slid out of the comfortable bed carefully and started sliding her clothes on. Once she had everything on she took hold of her shoes and her purse and tiptoed out of the room, making sure to be as quiet as possible. Since it was a house and not an apartment, Vanessa assumed he had roommates - probably a lot of them - so she opened the front door with very little noise and sneaked out, pulling her phone out and getting directions back to her hotel.

She started walking, not expecting anyone else on the streets at four in the morning, so when she saw someone lying on the floor, crying for help, she ran over to them, throwing her purse down and trying to assess the situation.

"What's going on?" She asked, her voice calm as every surgeon's should be.

"I think I'm having a heart attack!" The man groaned, clutching his chest and looking into her eyes as she leans over him to check. His forehead was sweaty and there looked to be some vomit on his shirt.

"Yep, that's what it looks like." She concluded, "Hold on there - I'm calling the ambulance." She dialled the number and spoke slowly into the phone, giving all of the information. She pulled a sharpie out of her bag - something she always carried with her just in case - and wrote everything on his arm as she wanted to be gone before the paramedics got there.

"You're gonna be fine." She soothed, doing everything in her power to stabilise him, giving him an aspirin and popping his head up onto her jacket, keeping him comfortable. The man closed his eyes and she couldn't feel his pulse so Vanessa started CPR. Pushing on his chest for around five minutes, refusing to give up, until he breathed in a deep breath and she relaxed, sitting back on her heels as she saw the ambulance turn up. 

"You'll be okay - the ambulance is here and you should be stable." She explained to the man, having just saved his life.

"T-thank you." He stuttered and she smiled, patting his arm gently before swiftly walking off, looking back to check he was properly taken care of before continuing to walk to her hotel. 

When she reached her hotel and got to her room, she showered and went to go to sleep before realising she had to be at her first day at Seattle Grace in an hour. 

She got dressed into the clothes she had chosen to wear a few weeks prior and prepared herself infront of her mirror.

"You are Vanessa Hunt. An amazing surgeon in all fields but most of all paediatrics where you are working this year." She patted her skirt down and looked into the mirror. Usually she took a different job every couple of years, specialising in different areas. Last time it was psychology but before that it was ortho and before that it was cardio. She loved peds the most. She had always loved children and always wanted children of her own but she found it hard to find someone who could deal with her baggage. Maybe she would stay longer this time with her brother being there - maybe that would cause her to leave sooner - she didn't know.

What was she going to say to Owen? He hadn't seen her in years after she disappeared. Owen was her older brother and always looked out for her - they were inseparable but once Megan was gone and presumed dead, Vanessa had to leave. 

So she travelled everywhere, helping wherever she could and studying almost every field of medicine - she knew almost all of the boards officiators personally having seen them each multiple times - she did nothing that didn't involve her career. But she wasn't sure how her brother would feel about having her back. He might even think she was dead like Megan - she hadn't surfaced for almost ten years and there was no record of her name anywhere that Owen had looked. 

She took a deep breath and let it go, opening her door and walking out to her car to drive to her first day of work at Seattle Grace hospital.

***********************************************************

A/N: I don't really like this loool but it's a start

if this was bad just wait and read on - it gets better :)

Thanks for reading :)