EPILOGUE

"Okay, Poppy. Can we move that surgery up to three and that one can be pushed to tomorrow." Vanessa ordered her assistant who nodded her head and walked away as Vanessa turned around and watched as Charlie and Amelia studied their medical books together.

"How're you two doing?" Vanessa asked as she approached them and leaned against her desk that they were using.

"Good, I'm definitely going to go into Paediatrics like you, mom." Charlie nodded, looking back down at the book.

"How could you not be specialising in plastics? Dad clearly has a more interesting job. No offence, mom." Amelia looked up at her mother and Vanessa smiled down at them.

"Well, you're both almost seventeen - it's time you started making decisions like these."

"At least we're doing some kind of medicine - Caroline doesn't want to do anything in the medical field." Charlie mumbled.

"And that's fine." Vanessa emphasised, thinking back to when Caroline told her she didn't want to be a doctor - as long as her kid was happy she couldn't care less what her occupation was.

"Just saying." Charlie shrugged, taking a chip out of the bag next to him and stuffing it into his mouth. Vanessa's eyes drifted to the picture of Charles and her on the wall and she couldn't help but see the similarities between her son and her friend.

"When's Uncle Owen coming to visit next?" Amelia asked, looking up at Vanessa. Vanessa bit her lip and looked down at the ground, trying to find the words.

"I'm not sure, honey. We've had some disagreements on his behaviour so I don't know."

"What did he do?" Charlie gasped, always the gossip.

"Nothing, Charlie. Go back to your books." Vanessa smiled slightly as she walked away from them and out of her office. 

Her and Owen had had a massive row over how he had treated Derek's sister, Amelia, and he had said some horrible things to her that they had yet to resolve. She just hoped they could get over it soon - the kids loved Owen and they were always asking when he was next going to visit. She wished things were better with them - like they were with everyone else from Seattle.

Every week there was at least one video call from someone in Seattle and Vanessa loved hearing from everyone. Even when it was bad news such as when the kids were young teens and they had to attend Derek's funeral - that was a tough time.

But other than that - everything was completely the same as it was when they lived in Seattle just with Vanessa being hours away and not talking to the people in Seattle every day. Vanessa was happy that she had moved away from Seattle Grace Mercy West, or Shepherd Grey Memorial hospital as it was dubbed after Lexie and Derek's deaths.

She was happy that she had taken the leap of faith - it gave her almost everything she had in her life.

***

"Dr Hunt, you have a visitor." Poppy told her and Vanessa looked up from her paperwork. Her and Mark had started their own practise in New York after being at the other hospital for a few years and it was one of the best decisions she had ever made.

"Okay, can you bring them in here?" 

"Sure." Poppy closed the door again and Vanessa went back to her paperwork. The practice was thriving, being that Vanessa and Mark had built quite good names for themselves over the years but more business came with more paperwork and Mark simply didn't have the time to do it and so she took it on.

Most of it she delegated to Poppy or other members of the admin team but there were times when all she wanted to do was sit with some paperwork and sort it out.

The door re-opened and Vanessa looked up, a wide smile immediately covering her face.

"Nice place you've built here." Alex commented and she stood up and walked swiftly over to him, pulling him in for a hug.

"How long has it been? A year ish?" He breathed, stroking his hand over her hair.

"Where's Caroline? I've already seen the twins but I haven't seen her." He asked as Vanessa pulled away from him and tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"She actually went away with a friend and their family - she's the social one and the twins never leave this place." She chuckled slightly as she linked arms with Alex and began walking through the small building.

"Where's Sloan?" 

"I actually don't know..." Vanessa mumbled as she walked around a corner and saw Mark sitting with the twins and talking through a procedure with them as they both listened intently.

"I guess that's where he is." Vanessa chuckled slightly as she walked over to them and rested her hand on Mark's shoulder as he nodded at Alex.

"You seem happy here." Alex commented, looking down at Vanessa's family.

"We are."

***

***

A/N: this is possibly the worst thing I've ever written but we move

this book is now complete :)

I didn't proofread 

Thanks for reading :))

I love youuu <3