CHAPTER TWELVE

"Mark!" She yelled, walking swiftly to try and catch up to him but she lost him in the crowd, his white coat just blending in with those of the doctors walking through the surprisingly filled halls. 

"What's going on?" Cristina asked from behind her, making her turn around slowly and sigh.

"Mark thinks I'm...cheating on him? I don't know what he thinks but he just stormed off, I don't know." Vanessa admitted, rubbing her forehead.

"I wasn't asking about that but we'll get back to it," She started, making Vanessa roll her eyes fondly, "Why is there so many people here and why are some of them in orange scrubs?" She asked and as if a lightbulb went off in Vanessa's head she remembered the merger with Mercy West.

"Merger with Mercy West." She said simply, walking over to Richard and tapping him on the shoulder causing him to turn around quickly.

"Oh. Doctor Hunt, what do you need?" He asked, looking down at her.

"I was going to ask if you needed any help? I could take some of the interns onto my service for the day - get them off of the floor?" She offered and the chief looked at her as if she was heaven on Earth.

"Yes! Yes. Please doctor Hunt." He sighed and she laughed, patting his arm as she walked away to collect some of the interns. She saw two people, a man and a woman, talking to each-other nervously. She noted their orange scrubs and walked up to them confidently, making sure to seem friendly but also not someone they could walk over.

"Hi. I'm Doctor Hunt, paediatric surgeon. You guys interns?" She asked and they looked to her anxiously. The boy was scanning her face with his green eyes and the girl was just fiddling with her fingers.

"How'd you guess?" The man said finally, smiling at her and holding out his hand, "Avery, Jackson Avery." He greeted and she shook his hand, knowing who he was but not showing it.

"What about you?" She turned to the woman, watching her eyes widen as she tried to form words.

"Kepner, April Kepner." She said and Vanessa nodded, smiling kindly at the two of them.

"Any ideas on what you guys want to specialise in?" She asked, not really expecting either of them to be the type to be a peds surgeon.

"No idea." They both said and Vanessa nodded again.

"Well for today you can be on my service." She said and they both looked at each other before nodding and following her to the elevator.

"Either of you at all interested in peds?" She asked and neither of them spoke, "Not everyone is, it's quite hardcore." She added, turning to the two interns and smiling gently at them.

"Now I know you're probably scared to come here - scared to take another surgeon's job - but if you're better than someone else it's not your fault." She seemed to calm them a bit when she said that. They were happy she wasn't discriminating against them for wearing orange.

When the elevator dinged, they all stepped out and Vanessa walked to the nurses station, grabbing her charts and turning to the interns infront of her.

"Right. Let's go."

She lead them to the first patient's room and let them lead the way, allowing them to practically have their own case, letting them get to know how Seattle Grace deals with patients. 

"Doctor Avery, great work." Vanessa praised as they walked out of the room, she turned to April and smiled at her gently, "You too Kepner." 

"Thank you Doctor Hunt." Avery smiled back at her, continuing to stare at her as she spoke to the nurse.