CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Vanessa was working in the E.R because she was on her break, trying to treat as many patients as she could until her next set of rounds had to be done. 

"Alright Isabelle, you and your mom can go now - your arm is all stitched up nicely. Just make sure you don't tear the stitches, okay?" She bent down to the little girl's level and held her hand to try and convey her point more. 

"Okay, thank you." Her mother came up behind her, placing her hand on Isabelle's shoulder, taking her away and smiling at Vanessa in gratitude as she walked out of the door.

Vanessa sighed gently, smiling to herself as she stood up and walked away from the bed, spotting her brother leaning against the wall and looking at her. She smiled at him sceptically and walked over to him, standing next to him and leaning on the wall herself. 

"What's up?" She asked, looking up at him as he looked down at her fondly.

"Mm nothing." He replied and she cocked her head to the side, raising her eyebrows - knowing he was lying. He raised his eyebrows as well, sighing when he knew he was caught.

"It's weird - I thought you were dead and I made my peace with not seeing you again. But there are times where all I can do is watch you and remind myself that you're fine. That you're not dead and you're here." He whispered, turning away from her and looking in-front of him.

"I am here." She breathed, still looking up at him. He moved his arm around her shoulder and pulled her close to him in a side hug. They stayed like that for a while, watching as people walked in and out of the E.R, doctors and patients alike walking in and out of their sight.

"Doctor Hunt." Someone called and both surgeons turned their heads to the source of the call.

"Oh... uh." The nurse looked at Owen and he removed his hand from Vanessa's shoulder and stuffed his hands in his pockets while turning to the nurse, "Your patient is ready for the surgery." 

"Okay, I'll be there in a minute." He replied, turning back to Vanessa and giving her an apologetic smile.

"Have fun." She joked, laughing when he rolled his eyes and chuckled, walking toward his patient's room quickly, mentally preparing for surgery.

Vanessa sighed, still leaning on the wall and looking out to the ER, looking out for any children or young people who need her help.

"Doctor Hunt." She heard a voice appearing beside her and she turned her head to the side, still leaning it on the wall.

"Doctor Avery." She smiled, wondering why he was speaking to her. He leaned on the wall beside her and stared into her eyes intensely.

"I'm going to Joe's later, do you want to come with me?" He proposed, smirking playfully at her and pushing off of the wall to face her fully as her face lit up in shock.

"And what makes you think I would go out with an intern?" She asked, spotting Mark stood a couple of metres behind Jackson, looking at the two of them.

"I don't know." He shrugged, still looking at her and Vanessa saw Mark walking toward the both of them.

She only hummed at Jackson in response, eyes glued to Mark behind him.

"So, you meeting me at Joe's or what?" Jackson repeated and Mark stood behind him, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed and a smirk on his face.

"Ohh." Mark laughed, making Jackson jump out of his skin and turn around to look at him, an agitated look on his face.

"Doctor Sloan." He greeted, nodding slightly to him and walking away quickly, not looking back.