CHAPTER FIVE

"I don't know what it is Derek." Mark groaned, leaning back in his chair as he complained to his best friend, "She's taken over my mind. I can't think about anything other than her." 

"That's called being in love." Derek raised his eyebrows matter-of-factly and Mark's head snapped up and he shook it vigorously.

"I am not in love." He denied, "No. Not me." 

"When do you think about her?" Derek asked, already knowing the answer but wanting to prove his point.

"All the damn time - every surgery I want to succeed so that she doesn't think I'm a bad surgeon, every meal I eat I think about eating with her, every kid I walk past... I don't even know her that well." Mark sighed, putting his hand over his face.

"Well get to know her then. Maybe she has some annoying qualities that make her less appealing." Derek suggested, carrying on with his research as his friend ranted.

"Yeah. Yeah maybe she has really ugly toes or something. Or maybe she hates old people?" Mark rambles, trying to think of anything that could be wrong with her.

"Who is this girl anyway?" Derek asked, looking up from his research and biting the lid of his pen.

"Vanessa Hunt." Mark sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. He didn't speak with Owen much but Mark didn't have to be a genius to know he wouldn't be happy about his sister being with him.

"Seriously? You have a death wish my friend. Did you not hear Bailey talking about her? Nothing but praise - from Bailey! She'd kill you if you mess up her favourite. Not to mention Owen..." Derk trailed off, raising his eyebrows and turning back to his computer screen.

Mark just groaned, covering his face with both his hands and wondering if this was the height of his stupidity. He was fairly sure it was just a stupid crush but he hadn't ever experienced one as intense as this. It wasn't love. Yet.

***

Vanessa was walking through the halls, she was supposed to go home a few hours ago but she couldn't bring herself to leave. Although she had left Lexie with the patient, Vanessa couldn't stop herself from worrying about their critical condition. 

"What are you still doing here?" She heard her brother call from the end of the corridor, she turned around and smiled weakly.

"I don't want to leave my patient. Six month old born with his heart on the outside of his body," She explained as he paced his way over to her, "We did the surgery today and it went well, better than anyone expected but I'm still scared that something might happen." She sighed, she hadn't slept since that nap Mark had forced her to take which was around 23 hours ago and before that she hadn't slept for 13 hours.

"You've been at the hospital for almost 36 hours - go home." He demanded but she shook her head tiredly, eyes drooping slightly before she forced them open again.

"I need to stay with my patient - Grey doesn't know what she's doing. If something happens to the kid..." She started but Owen stopped her by placing his hand on her shoulder, grounding her.

"Go home." He said clearly, hoping it would be enough. She looked as though she was considering it before she shook her head, patted his hand and walked off toward her patient in the NICU.

Owen sighed, walking off to where he needed to be, reminding himself to force her to go home if he saw you later on. She could be putting her patients in more danger from being tired, he just hoped she would come to her senses at some point and go home.

***

"Doctor Hunt, what are you doing here?" Lexie asked as Vanessa stepped into the NICU.

"Doctor Grey, just here to make sure everything's going alright. I'm going to be staying so you can go if you would like." She smiled warmly at the intern and went to sit down.

"Didn't you stay last night?" Lexie asked and Vanessa snapped.

"It's really none of your business. At all. Just go, Grey. Go home." She raised her voice, leaning back in her chair and staring at the baby infront of her.

"Oh-okay." Lexie stuttered, rushing out of the room. She'd never seen Vanessa be less than happy with the other doctors - she always seemed like such a nice person. She walked into the hall, looking to get to an on call room, she was technically still supposed to be there even if she had just been told to leave.

"Little Grey?" She heard Mark behind her and sighed, turning around to face him, "Weren't you watching that baby with the heart?" He asked, walking up to her slowly.

"Oh, Vanessa - Doctor Hunt - took my place. I saw her here last night and I don't think I ever saw her go home. She told me to leave." She shrugged, walking off leaving Mark confused. After he had gone home last night he assumed she did too but if she didn't it meant she had been at the hospital without much rest for 36 hours.

Mark raced to the NICU, ready to force Vanessa into a bed again but he found her talking to the parents of the baby happily about schools and childhood. He walked in calmly, a stark contrast to the storm raging inside of him.

"Doctor Hunt." He greeted, standing next to her as she spoke to the parents.

"Ah, Ryan and Amy meet Mark Sloan, head of plastics. Doctor Sloan this is Ryan and Amy. Parents of this adorable thing here." She introduced, cooing at the baby she was looking at.

"Hi, nice to meet you." Mark shook their hands and his eyes wandered back to Vanessa, looking angelic while talking to the baby. He found himself wondering what she would look like talking to his baby, her hair with his eyes would make a very attractive child. 

He shook his head, ridding himself of the thought and excused himself, pulling Vanessa out with him.

"Everything okay?" She asked, eyes looking into his face. His perfect features - his kind eyes and playful smile. She found herself not wanting to look away - wanting to savour his face in her memory forever.

She had heard the rumours about the player that was Mark Sloan. She refused to ever be involved with him - everyone she spoke to about him only had horror stories to tell and she wasn't interested in getting her heart broken.

But she couldn't deny the feeling that bubbled in her stomach when she saw him approaching her, the jealousy that engulfed her when he spoke to other girls and the disappointment that seeped into her bones when he didn't speak to her that day. It was like her life revolved around him.

"No. Everything is not okay." He hissed, his eyes searching hers, making sure she was okay, "You didn't go home last night. Like you said you would." He accused and she rolled her eyes, going to walk around him. He grabbed her arm, not letting her pass him.

"I mean technically I did go home - I just came back a few minutes later." She tried to joke, ignoring the electricity that was pulsing through her veins where he had grabbed her.

"It's not something to joke about, you need to sleep." He said sternly, still looking into her eyes. She looked up at him, confusion lining her face.

"Why do you even care?" She spat, pulling her arm free of him and going to walk back into the NICU to watch over her patient.

"Vanessa wait." He tried to call after her but she ignored him, a smile spreading across her face as soon as she saw the family - instantly calming herself down. Her crush on Mark Sloan was at the top of her mind and it couldn't be shaken.

Mark watched her through the window for a bit before running his hand through his hair and pulling on his normal, composed face. He refused to let anyone know about his life-ruining crush on Vanessa Hunt.

***********************************************************

A/N: I dont like this but we move

It gets better - i think lol idfk

Thanks for reading :)