CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO

Vanessa and Mark had the day to themselves. They had no work and Vanessa's mother had requested the kids for a day and they adored their grandmother so Vanessa and Mark had no problem in letting them be with her for the day. 

They were laying on the couch, a blanket covering them as Mark had his arms wrapped around her, occasionally pressing kisses to her neck and shoulders as he brought her closer to his bare chest. 

Vanessa smiled to herself as she turned around in his arms and pressed her lips to his in a passionate kiss, moving her arms around his neck and playing with the ends of his hair as he brought her closer to him, if that was even possible. 

They were interrupted by Vanessa's phone ringing loudly and Mark groaned against her lips as she desperately tried to silence it without moving her lips from Mark's but as soon as she ended it, another call ran through and she sighed, pressing the blanket to her chest as she sat up and held the phone up to her ear.

"Hello?" She called into the phone and Mark could vaguely hear someone else on the other end of the phone.

"What?" Vanessa sat up more, putting a shaky hand on her heart.

"T-that's not funny." She shook her head, tears welling in her eyes.

"That's not funny." She repeated, her voice weaker as she brought the hand on her chest to her mouth and Mark furrowed his eyebrows and sat up next to her, getting slightly worried.

"Oh, my God." The phone dropped out of her hand and Mark picked it up, putting it to his ear as he thanked whoever the person was before ending the call and facing Vanessa again as she started to breathe heavily and tears streamed down her face.

He pulled her into his chest, furrowing his eyebrows as she clung to him and sobbed.

"What? What's going on?" He asked, rocking her slightly to calm her down and running his fingers through the ends of her hair. 

"Th-they found M-Megan," She stuttered, pulling away from Mark and looking at him, "She's alive."

***

Vanessa was standing with Owen on one side of her with Cristina next to him and Mark on the other side. She was clutching both of their hands, looking forward as a helicopter landed and a few people jumped out. 

Her breath caught in her throat as a stretcher was brought out and she walked forward, dropping Mark's hand as her and Owen walked either side of Megan who was laying on the stretcher with an oxygen mask on her face and her eyes closed.

"Megan..." Owen breathed, stroking her hair gently as he hesitantly took the oxygen mask off of her face.

"Megan." Vanessa smiled, grabbing her hand in hers as Megan looked between the two of them with her eyebrows furrowed.

"Who... who are you guys?" She asked and Owen and Vanessa looked up at each other worriedly. 

Vanessa's heart dropped as she thought that Megan had forgotten her - although she was over the moon that her sister was alive, it would break her heart if she didn't remember them.

Until a bright smile came across Megan's face and she chuckled slightly.

"Sorry, I had to do it." She smiled and Vanessa breathed out a sigh of relief as she continued looking down at her sister, unable to fully comprehend the sight of her being alive.

"Now, will you unstrap me from this thing so I can hug your ridiculously pale bodies?"

"Yeah." Owen breathed as he began working on unstrapping the ties holding Megan to the stretcher.