CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

"I can't believe you started your Seattle journey by banging me and you'll end it by marrying him!" Alex laughed and Vanessa smiled, cringing slightly at what a drunk Alex had just told Mark. 

It had never even crossed her mind to tell Mark that she had slept with Alex - it was before she had even met him and it didn't affect their relationship at all so she saw no reason to tell. But she felt his grip tighten on her waist ever so slightly.

"You didn't tell me about that." He whispers in her ear and she chuckles slightly before turning to face him.

"Insecure is not a good colour on you." She tapped his face with her fingers lightly and he pouted but smiled once she turned her head away. He rested his chin on her shoulder as they both watched Alex sitting on their sofa, drinking more beer than Vanessa would have thought possible. 

"Alex." Vanessa called and he looked at her, eyes hooded.

"What happened?" She added.

"My brother came back." He said simply as he went to take another sip of his beer but Vanessa took it off of him, not wanting him to become even more drunk.

"Hey." He protested weakly and she smiled at him before sitting on the sofa next to him.

"Come on." She pushed and he reluctantly placed his head on her shoulder. She placed her head on his and closed her eyes as silent tears ran down Alex's face. Mark stood up - deciding to leave the two of them together - and walked to the nursery. 

The twins were a just over five months old now and they seemed to be getting bigger and bigger everyday. Mark could already see them going off to college and his heart ached at the thought even though it was years in the future.

He thought about what his other children would be like - hopefully they wouldn't have any more twins - Mark loved them dearly but it was double the work and extremely draining to have two babies at the same time. 

He and Vanessa said they would wait until the twins were around 18 months to two years old to have their next baby. The thought of more kids excited Mark more than anything. Their house had loads of bedrooms and only three were occupied. His and Vanessa's, the twins' and of course Jake's room. 

Mark wondered how many kids they would have. A couple of years ago the thought of having kids would have scared him half to death but with Sloan visiting him and his grandchild in the world somewhere he was more inclined to step up and be a dad. He wanted at-least three kids, ideally one girl and two boys. 

He looked over the bars of the crib at Charlie as his tiny fists clutched at the blanket below him as he slept. Mark kissed his hand and placed it on Charlie's head before checking on Amelia who was fast asleep with her tiny mouth hanging open. Mark smiled at how cute she was before placing another kiss on his hand and placing in on her forehead just as he had done with Charlie.

He closed their door carefully and walked to his and Vanessa's room only to find Alex asleep on one side with her on the other. When he closed the door she looked up and rolled into the middle of the bed, waiting for him to get into his pyjamas before he climbed in.

"I seriously must love you if you've got me sharing a bed with Karev." He whispered and she smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him softly. She cuddled into his arms and rested there with his chin on top of her head as she closed her eyes.

"I love you, goodnight." She whispered,

"Night, I love you too." He whispered back.

***

Vanessa closed the door behind Alex as he left and was immediately greeted by Mark pinning her up against it and kissing her passionately. She kissed him back but broke away when she remembered something that she had to do. Mark placed his lips, back on hers - being persistent as always.