CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Vanessa woke up slowly, her eyes adjusting to the bright light that filtered through the closed curtains. Her hands moved to her lap and she realised that Mark wasn't there anymore. She sat up slowly, using her hands to push herself up.

She remembered it was her day off and she smiled weakly, swinging her legs off of the bed and walking to Mark's wardrobe, taking one of his t-shirts to wear. She changed into his top and walked to one of the drawers she had kind of claimed as her own. 

She grabbed a pair of black leggings and slipped them on, the top fell to her mid-thigh and it made her look quite stupid in her opinion but she wanted to be comfortable on her day off - looks weren't as important today.

Vanessa brushed her hair out and let it fall across her shoulders, leaving it to do whatever it wanted as she walked out of the room, running her fingers through her hair and tousling it gently.

She wasn't expecting Mark to be in the apartment but when she saw him sat on the sofa and watching the TV, her heart involuntarily sped up as she realised she had to tell him. She hoped their day off wouldn't be spent fighting.

"Morning." Mark called, not even looking at her to try and creep her out that he knew she was there without looking. She just smiled and shook her head playfully, jumping onto the sofa next to him.

"Morning." She smiled as he looked over at her, eyes raking down her body as he registers what she's wearing. He placed his hand on her upper thigh and looked back at the TV as she placed her head on his shoulder and watched the TV as well.

"You have the day off?" She asked quietly, looking up at him as he looked down at her and smiled.

"Eh, I took it off sick." He shrugged, moving his arm around her shoulder and pulling her body closer to him. Vanessa just hummed in response, nestling her face into his neck more as he kissed the top of her head gently.

"Is that my shirt?" He asked and he felt her smile against his neck.

"Mhmm." She brought her face away from him and looked up at him lovingly as he watched her closely, completely entranced by the woman in front of him. She bit her lip softly and he brought his thumb up, gently pulling her lip out from under her teeth. He brought his thumb away slowly, allowing her lip to fall back to it's original position.

His eyes sparkled as he watched he woman he loved look back up at him. He placed his hand on the side of her head and guided his lips to hers, kissing her passionately.

He kept his hands on the sides of her face and she rested hers on his chest, trailing her fingers down his torso, across his toned stomach and up his strong arms, tracing her fingers across them and making him shiver slightly as he smiled into the kiss, pushing Vanessa down gently and towering over her, keeping his lips connected to hers.

---

After their little make-out session, Mark and Vanessa were in each-others arms, watching a movie on the TV. Vanessa had begun to fall asleep next to Mark and he watched her drift off just like he used to before they started dating.

She still looked as beautiful now as she did then - even more so in his opinion and he just hoped that their kid would have her natural beauty. And his nose.

When Vanessa started to squirm in her sleep Mark knew she was having a nightmare, something that he had learnt over the many nights he had spent with her, and he wrapped his arms tighter around her, making sure she knew that someone was there.

Her eyes fluttered open and darted around the room frantically until they found Mark's. He was hovering next to her, eyes looking into hers as she calmed her breathing down and reattached herself to the real world.

"It's okay." Mark soothed into her ear, leaning back and rubbing her shoulders calmingly.

"I have something to tell you." Vanessa whispered, needing to get the information off of her chest. She knew it wasn't exactly bad news but she wasn't sure how Mark would react - one baby was a lot of responsibility let alone two.

"You don't have to say anything now." Mark whispered, not expecting the news that Vanessa was planning to tell him.

Vanessa turned her body so that she was facing him, placing her hands on her chest and moving back slightly as she looked into Mark's eyes. He furrowed his brows slightly at her as she sighed deeply.

"V, you're scaring me." He laughed a little bit to diffuse the situation and she smiled at him, placing her palm on his palm and lifting their hands up together. He entwined their fingers and looked at her intently.

"It's uh... it's twins." She stuttered and he moved his head back slightly, confused.

"What's twins?" He asked, making Vanessa giggle slightly. She grabbed his other hand and placed it on her stomach, indicating what she had meant.

He gasped, eyes brightening as he realised what was happening and what Vanessa was saying.

"Really?" He breathed, looking back up at her and smiling widely.

"Yeah."

He placed his hands on either side of her hips and lifted her up, standing up himself and spinning her around quickly as she squealed at him to put her down.

"Stop! Stop it!" She laughed, smacking his shoulders gently until he placed her down hesitantly. He moved his hand to her stomach and rested them there, eyes beginning to get wet.

"Mark?" Vanessa reminded after he hadn't spoken for a while and he brought his eyes up to meet hers, pulling them away from his unborn children.

"Do we-do we know the genders?" He asked.

"No. Alex found them out and told Owen who's planning a gender reveal party." She explained and Mark nodded his head, sighing deeply.

"I can't believe it's twins." He breathed and Vanessa wrapped her arms around his neck as he pulled her into a hug, "How did we not know it was twins?"

Vanessa explained everything to him as he took her hand and led her to the kitchen, sitting her on one of the stools and getting the ingredients out to cook their dinner.

"Mark what are you doing? You know you can't cook." Vanessa jokes and he sends her a playful glare as he begins to cook, speaking to her about anything and everything.

---

"That...wasn't terrible." Vanessa admits as Mark smirks, happy that he proved her wrong.

"See?" He cocked an eyebrow up and she giggled, taking both of the plates off of the table and into the sink, running the water to make it hot before cleaning them off and placing them back into the cupboard. 

She turned around and Mark was there, blocking her against the sink with his body. Vanessa laughed, remembering how Alex had done the same thing on her first day of work. 

Mark lifted her bridal style and took her to the bedroom, placing her down so that she could get changed. When she climbed into the bed he followed her, snuggling up behind her and wrapping his arms around her protectively, making her sigh contentedly and relax more into the bed.

"Night." She sighed, taking his hand in hers and closing her eyes.

"Night, V." Mark whispered, squeezing her lightly as he closed his eyes as well. Vanessa smiled at the nickname and allowed sleep to consume her. She felt the safest she had ever felt in her life when she was in his arms and she knew she wanted to be with Mark for the rest of her life.

The two of them slept soundly together, feeling the most amount of love they had both ever felt in their lives and both of them knew that they wanted to stay like this, forever.

****************************************************

A/N: It's too late for this lmao so im sorry it's absolutely terrible loll

no proofreading bc im lazy

Thanks for watching :)