CHAPTER FIFTEEN

"Vanessa." Alex whispered, pointing to the end of the hallway discreetly where Mark was about to walk. She ducked her head and Alex covered as much of her body as he could to shield Mark from seeing her as he walked past. 

"Thanks." She touched his arm lightly and grabbed her chart, smiling softly at him and walking away to see her patient.

It had been two days since Mark had told her about the cheating and everyone did their best to keep him from seeing her and to make sure she was constantly busy so she had no time to think about her ex boyfriend.

She was about to open the door to her patient's room when she received a 9-1-1 from her brother to go down to the ER. She rushed to the stairs and ran down them. Her brother didn't use the 9-1-1 code lightly so she knew it must be an emergency.

"Owen, what's going on?" She asked, looking around and not seeing any crowds which meant no real emergency.

"There's a kid, their mum is a doctor here and we need someone to look after them. I was wondering if you would do it?" He asked, hoping his method of telling her he knew about her pregnancy would work.

"Uh, yeah. Okay. Where are they?" She asked, looking around for a child, when she didn't see one she turned back to Owen who had an excited expression on his face. She furrowed her brows, confusion filling her mind until she realised what he was talking about and laughed.

"How'd you find out?" She asked and he shrugged, showing that he wasn't going to tell her but Vanessa guessed Cristina had let it slip to him.

"Alright then, one less person to tell." She smiled and he placed his hand on her stomach lightly.

"How far along are you?" He asked and she gulped slightly.

"Around 8 weeks." She sighed and Owen looked back up from her stomach to her eyes, sadness lacing his features. He knew that it was Mark's baby but the littlest part of him wanted to believe that it wasn't his - to save his little sister from the pain.

"Does he know?" He asked and she shook her head. She still didn't know how to tell him - she didn't even know how to talk to him anymore let alone tell him news as big as that he has a child.

"I don't want to talk to him - he has to know - but I really don't want to talk to him." She confessed, looking to her brother for support, any advice he could give her would be appreciated.

"Tell him. Even if you just tell him and leave the room. He doesn't deserve anything from you but he deserves to know that he has a child." Owen sighed, patting her shoulder before walking away.

Vanessa walked to the elevator, pressed the button and waited for the ding to sound. She jutted a hip out and examined her nails as she was waiting. When she heard the elevator doors open she lifted her head, immediately regretting her decision.

"Vanessa." Mark breathed. He looked like hell. Dark bags under his red eyes, his nose had a large cut on it from where Cristina had punched him and his posture was terrible - he wasn't carrying himself with the same cockiness he usually did, instead he looked tired, almost as if he was trying to make himself disappear.

She turned on her heel, not saying a word or making a noise as she walked away from the elevator but Mark's long legs made it easy for him to catch up to her, grabbing her hand and spinning her around.

Her head was whipped around violently and that brought along a wave of nausea and she ran to the nearest bin, throwing up in it as soon as her head was over it. She felt a hand on her shoulder and she instantly shrugged it off, recognising the touch as Mark's.

She wiped her mouth and turned to him, eyes glaring daggers into him, the nerve he had to chase after her and try to comfort her as she was sick - he gave up that right when he cheated on her.