CHAPTER TWO

As Vanessa walked through the sliding doors to the hospital, she took a deep breath in through her nose, inhaling the scent. It was welcoming and homey while still smelling like a hospital - clean and sterile. She stopped walking just as she got through the doors, just looking around and getting a feel for the place.

"Can I help you?" She heard a deep voice behind her and she turned to see Chief Webber stood, looking at her.

"Oh! Chief Webber, I'm Vanessa Hunt - the new paediatric surgeon." She explained and his face brightened up, "I'm not actually meant to start yet - I just wanted to come in early and see everything."

"Ah. Okay well, have fun - but not too much." He chuckled and she smiled warmly at him before coming up with a question she needed answered as he started to walk away.

"Chief?" She called after him and he turned around, staring at her expectantly as she began to speak, "You didn't... tell my brother I was coming, did you?" She asked, fiddling with the cuffs of her jumper.

"No. It's not my place to tell him that his thought-dead sister is actually alive and about to be working with him." He nodded before walking away, leaving her to check out the hospital, picking up her ID and scrubs from the desk and walking to the locker room to deposit the stuff.

"Woah. You can't put it in there." She heard a voice behind her and froze, turning slowly to reveal Alex stood in the doorway, "Hey." He added, pushing off of the doorframe and walking toward her slowly.

"Hi, Dr Karev." Vanessa greeted professionally, "And why can't I put my stuff in here? It's empty isn't it?" She looked back to the locker, checking it was empty and as she turned back, Alex pushed his arms either side of her head, leaning his body to hers, lips ghosting over each others before Vanessa came to her senses and pushed him off, sliding her hair behind her ear as she cleared her throat.

"Last night - it's not happening again." She said flatly, still holding her stuff.

"And why not?" He challenged, leaning on the lockers opposite her and raising his eyebrows.

"Because we work together and it's unprofessional. It will not happen again. Are we clear?" She asked sternly, glaring into Alex's eyes. He glared back, challenging her yet again but he was the first to back away, holding his hands up in surrender. 

"Okay." He turned around to leave but turned back at the door, "You can use that locker if you want." He added and walked out.

Vanessa shrugged and stuffed her things in the locker and changed into her scrubs, pinning her ID onto the shirt and walking out to find where she was supposed to go. She took the elevator up to a random floor, guessing she'd find someone there to point her to peds. 

"I'm telling you it's not logical to do the surgery that way!" Is the first thing Vanessa heard upon stepping out of the elevator. She was greeted by what she guessed were two interns - not proper doctors - arguing with another, smaller doctor.

"Dr Bailey-" One of them started but the smaller woman shut her up with just a look and Vanessa immediately took a liking to her.

"Excuse me?" She stepped toward the group and they all turned to her - agitated looks on their faces.

"You must be the new peds surgeon." The smaller doctor pushed through the others and walked up to her, placing her hand out for her to shake. Vanessa shook her hand happily, smiling warmly at her, "I'm Miranda Bailey." She introduced and Vanessa made sure to remember that name.

"Vanessa. Hunt." She added the last part hesitantly as one of the interns immediately turned to her, eyes wide.

"You're one of Owen's sisters?" She asked incredulously and she nodded, "But they're both dead? Missing actually - presumed dead." She explained to the other intern and Vanessa chuckled slightly.

"And you are?" She asked the intern, sticking out her hand.

"Yang. Cristina Yang." She shook her hand and turned to the other intern, "And this is Meredith Grey." She added and Vanessa nodded, impressed.

"Ellis' daughter?" She asked and Meredith nodded sadly, obviously not wanting to dwell on the subject, "Listen can none of you mention to Owen that I'm here yet?" She looked at the three women and they all nodded, "Okay, now who's taking me to wherever peds is?" 

***

"Dr Hunt?" Vanessa heard and turned around, raising her eyebrows before realising the call wasn't meant for her. She sighed and turned back to her paperwork before her eyes widened and she realised what that meant. 

She took her paperwork and turned the corner, hiding from her brother as he walked onto the floor. She could hear his footsteps as he walked across the floor, about to walk around the corner and into Vanessa's line of sight. 

As soon as she saw him she dropped her paperwork and gasped. He hadn't seen her in years but she hadn't seen him either. He had grown up so much from when she last saw him and so had she - they both looked so different than when they worked together in the field.

She instantly dropped down to pick up the papers, covering her face with her hair as Owen bent down to pick up a piece that drifted past the safety of her corner. He walked over to her and she was reluctant to stand up, not wanting his reaction if it was going to be bad.

She slowly stood up, keeping her face looking at the floor, not showing her face fully - her ginger hair covering the main features. 

"Here." Owen offered, holding out his hand to give her the paper back.

"Thanks..." She mumbled, taking the paper and stuffing it into the pile. She nodded slightly and Owen smiled, walking forward. Vanessa sighed, lifting her head and going to walk off before a hand pulled on her arm. She scrunched her eyes closed and turned around hesitantly.

"Vanessa?" He breathed, eyes searching hers as soon as she opened them.

"Hey?" She flinched, hoping he wouldn't be angry.

"W-what?" He gasped, keeping hold of her arm with his hand.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, smiling lightly. Vanessa smiled once she saw her brother's smile - happy he wasn't angry.

"New paediatric surgeon." She explained, shrugging.

"I thought you were dead." He admitted, pulling her into a hug and nestling his head in her neck. She hugged him back, clinging onto his body as tightly as he was clinging onto hers.

"I can't believe you're here." He whispered into her neck, voice muffled by her hair.

"I can't believe I'm here either." She admitted, pulling away from the hug as he held her at arms length, teary eyes searching her face.

"Atleast I have one sister back." He chuckled - smiling at her and not taking his eyes away from her features.

"About that," She begun, knowing he wouldn't believe her, "I know she's not gone." She breathed and Owen's shoulders dropped.

"She is V. She is gone." He whispered and she nodded, still not believing that her older sister was gone. Silence draped over the two of them until she heard him take a deep breath in.

"I missed you." He sighed, hands still on her arms.

"I missed you too." She whispered before her pager beeped, "We can talk later - I gotta go." She sighed, patting his arm and running off to answer her 911.

******************************************************

A/N: I was gonna do this differently but hey ho

i don't proofread much so if it's all over the place let me know <3

I have avengers imagines and stuff where i use second person so if i use 'you' to describe Vanessa then it's a mistake that comes with writing second person for another book :)

Thanks for reading :)