CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Vanessa was sat up in bed, still exhausted from the events of the day.

"And Derek is fine?" She asked, having asked Mark and Owen about everything that had happened.

"He's stable, yeah." Owen assured her and she turned her head to Mark.

"I kind of already named our kid." She cringed and he raised his eyebrows.

"Really?" He asked, as long as it wasn't a horrible name then he was fine with it.

"Yeah, I made a promise to Ch-Charles," She closed her eyes, remembering her dead friend, "That I would name our kid Charlie." She looked over at Mark and she couldn't read his expression.

"We can make it a middle name if you don't like it." She suggested but Mark shook his head.

"No, I like Charlie." He smiled at her, happy with the name.

"Charlie Sloan." Vanessa tried the name out and Owen smiled, loving the sound of the name.

"What about the girl?" Vanessa asked, thinking of the options.

"I'm gonna go check on them, leave you to it." Owen announced, kissing Vanessa's head softly before leaving.

"I'm not sure." Mark admitted, sitting back in the chair but still holding her hand.

"Can the middle name be Megan? After my sister." Vanessa asked and Mark nodded, squeezing her hand lightly, "You can choose the first name."

"Mm... what about Savanna?" He suggested and she furrowed her brows.

"After your ex girlfriend who you had a kid with?" She asked. She liked the name but it was the connection that she had a problem with.

"Well I didn't really think of that...I just like the name." He frowned slightly.

"We can name her Savanna if you want. I like the name." She nodded her head but he shook his head, the connection making him dislike the name.

"Okay." She shrugged, not minding. She leaned back in her bed, "Maybe we should look at the middle name for the Charlie." It felt weird calling the babies by their names and not their genders.

"Oh, I don't know." 

"Well we have many important men in our lives. Choose one." Vanessa demanded.

"Me?" Mark asked incredulously.

"Well I chose his first name - without even checking with you first may I add - and her middle name. So you get her first name and his middle name." She explained and Mark laughed at her logic.

"Okay. Middle name... Derek?" He proposed and Vanessa ran over the name in her mind.

"Charlie Derek Sloan." She smiled, looking over at Mark, "Sure."

"Alright! We have one full name." He celebrated and she giggled at him, sitting up more in bed.

"Now we need an actual first name for our daughter." She points out and he leans forward in his chair, resting his elbows on his knees and his chin in his palms, thinking for someone who meant something to him.

"Amy or Amelia." He offered and Vanessa nodded slowly, allowing him time to think it over.

"Which do you prefer?" He asked and she shrugged.

"I like them both." She replies avoiding the question slightly and he groans.

"The one time I actually want your opinion." He breathes and she hits his arm weakly as they both laugh.