CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

"Mark, this is Jake. Jake, this is Mark." Vanessa introduced, hoping some of the tension would leave the space.

Jake stuck his hand out, a friendly smile on his face. Mark shook his hand, smiling slightly, not taking his eyes off of Jake.

"You're new." Mark comments and if looks could kill Jake would have died a very violent death by now.

"You're old." Jake snaps back, his witty nature appearing. He clapped a hand over his mouth as Vanessa stifled a laugh and Mark narrowed his eyes.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn-"Jake began to apologise but Vanessa held her hand up, looking up at Jake and smiling.

"It's fine, Mark's cool. Right, Mark?" She looked down at Mark and sent a pointed look in his direction, forcing Mark to nod hesitantly but he was still glaring at Jake.

"What's up?" She asked Mark and he moved his gaze down to hers, his face immediately softening.

"I don't know." He obviously lied but Vanessa could tell he wasn't going to tell her the real reason, "You look tired." He added and if Vanessa was being truthful, she was.

"Thanks." She laughs and he smiles, "I don't want to leave Jake though..." 

"I'm fine. Really." Jake pipes in from behind her and she turns to look at him. They both had almost a full conversation with their eyes - one of the quirks of knowing each-other for almost their whole lives.

"It's really fine, I'll see you tomorrow." Jake assures her and she nods, smiling at him. She hugged him tightly and he wrapped his arms around her securely. He stole a glance at Mark and saw that he was glaring at him. He loosened his grip on Vanessa and she let go of him.

"I'll see you tomorrow Jake, I'll text you the details." She smiled and left with Mark, shouting a goodbye to Jackson and Charles.

The walk home was completely silent. Vanessa not wanting to say anything to provoke an argument and Mark just not knowing what to say.

When he opened the apartment door for her and she walked past him, he let out a big, dramatic sigh. Vanessa turned around to him and crossed her arms over her chest and signalling for him to just say what he wanted to say.

"What?" He asked, feigning innocence but his face gave it away. Vanessa raised her eyebrows and he sighed again.

"Who is he?" He asked and although she knew it was coming she couldn't help the feeling that they were constantly going round in circles. Just because he couldn't trust himself doesn't mean he shouldn't trust her.

"He's been my best friend since I can remember. He was in the army while I was a medic there. Uhh... he introduced me to my fiance and he's just moved here." She jumbled everything that she could think of that would best explain their friendship together, hoping that Mark would drop it.

"So nothing ever happened between you two?" He asked and Vanessa was almost sick at the thought. Jake was her best friend and she had never thought of him like that.

"No! Even if it did, what would that change?" 

"Nothing. Nothing." Mark breathed but Vanessa knew differently.

"Oh. My. God. We keep having the same argument! I thought that we left this behind us months ago." She yelled, completely exhausted with Mark not trusting her.

"What? I never said anything." He tried to cover but it just made Vanessa more annoyed.

"You asked me if we were involved with each-other! When are you going to trust me?" She questioned.