CHAPTER FIFTY

Vanessa woke up slowly before looking around groggily and rubbing her eyes to adjust them to the light. She looked down and noticed Mark's arm draped across her stomach lazily as the thin sheets covered their bodies.

She smiled to herself as she sat up more in the bed and Mark's arm fell down to her thighs. The movement woke him from his slumber and he moved his head to face her as he spread his hand out on her thigh and rubbed it gently. 

"Morning." She smiled down at him as he stayed laying down, looking up at her.

"Morning." He breathed, using his grip on her leg to pull her back down into the bed more and rolled on top of her, pressing his lips to hers passionately. Vanessa ran her hands through his hair as he moved his lips down to her collarbone, pressing open mouthed kisses on the skin there.

"Mark, we have work."

"No." He groaned, bringing his kisses up her neck and hovering over her face as they looked into each other's eyes. 

"Come on, the kids are probably awake."

"Let them be awake." He mumbled as he began kissing her again.

"Mark."

"That's what I like to hear." He joked and Vanessa rolled her eyes as she pecked Mark on the lips quickly before rolling away from under him and using the sheet to cover her body as she walked to the bathroom.

"We're married - you can lose the sheet." Mark pointed out and Vanessa turned her head to look at him innocently as she dropped the sheet from around her body and walked into the bathroom to take a shower.

Mark groaned as he flopped back down onto the bed and closed his eyes, savouring the image that had just been presented to him.

***

"Alright, first day back since Caroline was born." Derek smiled as he met Mark and Vanessa at the doors of the hospital.

"Yup." Vanessa breathed as Mark squeezed her hand that he was holding.

"She'll be fine." He assured her.

"I know, it's just weird that I won't be with her all the time."

"You can visit her." Derek suggested and Vanessa nodded her head but her face looked unconvinced.

"I miss them - I'm used to being home with them." 

"The kids are fine. We'll visit them during lunch, alright?" Mark proposed and Vanessa looked over at him as she nodded her head, smiling slightly.

"Okay." She breathed.

"Right," Derek walked in front of them, stopping them from walking, "Get to work, both of you."

Vanessa and Mark chuckled before stepping past Derek and pecking each other on the lips quickly before going their separate ways to their separate patients that they had been given. 

***

Vanessa stormed out of the scrub room and wiped her eyes gently as she allowed the door to slam behind her and she found her way to the stairwell where nobody could walk in on her as her breathing came out in short puffs and she ran her fingers through her hair.

She had just lost the sweetest little boy who needed a heart transplant and it didn't go as planned. Her patient coded on the table and she tried everything that she could to save him but he died anyways and she didn't know how to deal with it.

It was her first loss in a while and she had forgotten the pain of losing patients and it wasn't something that she ever wanted to come back to.

She leaned on the railing and looked at the floor as she tried to calm herself down enough to walk out of the stairwell and toward where she knew she needed to be.