CHAPTER TEN

Vanessa woke up slowly and startled as she felt an arm wrapped around her waist until she turned her head and realised it was Mark. She looked at the clock on the wall and saw that she still had a few hours before she needed to be up. 

She snuggled further into Mark's chest and only then did she remember that they were both naked and the events of the past couple of hours. She smiled and sighed happily, closing her eyes again and falling asleep to the rhythm of Mark's chest rising and falling against her back. 

Mark groaned as he woke up, catching a glimpse of Vanessa's orange-tinted hair and smiling to himself, remembering what happened a couple of hours ago. He pulled her closer to his chest and breathed in the scent of hair - coconut and macadamia - and he relished it, burying his face into it and drifting back off to the feel of her heart beating against his fingers.

***

Vanessa opened her eyes and looked at the clock, realising she needed to get up and do her job soon. She gently pulled Mark's arm from her waist and placed it down by his side, hearing him groan as she did so.

He clutched at nothing, trying to reach out to Vanessa to pull her to his chest again and when she wasn't there, he opened his eyes groggily and looked around for her. When he spotted her pulling her clothes back on he smiled, stretching out onto his stomach, pulling a pillow underneath his head and leaning on it - still watching her closely. 

"Morning." He croaked, smiling when she whipped herself around, surprised at his voice.

"Good morning." She giggled, pulling her top over her head.

They just looked at each other for a while before she remembered what she was doing, shaking her head and bending down to snatch her trousers from the floor, watching him smirk at her when she came back up.

She shook her head playfully, smiling, and pulled her trousers on, tying them at the top quickly. Mark also got up and started putting his own clothes on, looking at her the whole time.

"I've got to get to work." Vanessa sighed, walking toward her shoes to put them on her feet. Mark ran forward a grabbed one of her shoes, putting it up above his head and stopping her from reaching it.

"Hey!" She yelled, playfully hitting his chest and trying to pull his arm down but he was too strong, stopping her from grabbing her shoe.

"Give it!" She laughed, trying to convince him to hand it over.

"Work for it." He chuckled, raising his hand higher and higher until he was on his tiptoes. She jumped up and tried to grab it, coming short by a few centimetres and making him laugh gently.

"Fine." She shrugged, reaching past Mark and grabbing one of his shoes, placing it on her foot and tying it tightly, it was many sizes too big and it was a very different style to hers so she looked stupid but his foot wouldn't fit in hers so he would only have one shoe for the day.

"Wait. No..." He calculated, lowering his hand and looking at her shoe, "I won't fit in this shoe, you have to give me my shoe back." He demanded, looking down at her.

"Nope." She replied, leaning across him and opening the door, walking out with one last wink and smirk directed toward Mark, closing the door behind her and walking to the nurses station, grabbing her charts and walking to her first patient.

"Uh... doctor Hunt?" She heard a voice behind her and she turned around, eyebrows raised and a smile on her face.

"Your shoes..." Lexie pointed out, not taking her eyes off of Vanessa's mismatched shoes.

"Oh. Mark stole mine so I stole his." She shrugged nonchalantly, walking past Lexie and toward her patient's room, ignoring the confused looks she was receiving from both doctors and patients.