CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Christmas and New Year had come and gone and Sloan gave her baby up a couple of days ago. 

Sloan got in the car and waved at her dad who was putting on a brave face for her as she drove off. As soon as she was gone he stormed back inside the hospital and disappeared, leaving Vanessa confused in the middle of the road.

---

"Mark?" Vanessa opened another cupboard, calling for her boyfriend but he was nowhere to be found. She closed the door and leant against it just as Owen came around the corner.

"Haven't found him yet?" He asked and Vanessa shook her head. Owen knew about what had happened and he was also trying to find Mark so that she could speak to him.

Vanessa saw a flash of Mark's hair and she whipped her head in that direction, running as quickly as she could toward him, Owen quick on her heels, making sure everything went okay.

"Dr Sloan!" Owen yelled and Mark stopped, turning around with his eyebrows raised before he realised what Owen had done and his face dropped. 

"Mark. Can we talk?" Vanessa breathed, her lungs aching from the running. He walked into an on call room and gestured for Vanessa to follow him. He helped her sit down on the bed and then he moved to the other end of the room and leaned against the wall.

"Look. She didn't want the baby, she wasn't read-" Vanessa began but Mark interrupted her.

"I wanted the baby!" Vanessa flinched at his sudden outburst and he calmed himself down slightly, "I would've helped her through it, she could've done it with our help."

"Yes but-"

"But now my grandson is in the world somewhere and I'm not allowed to know where, all because you went behind my back to schedule an adoption!" 

"What else did you expect? She asked me to help her - I wasn't just going to leave her to do it herself."

"You could've told me - what happened to no more secrets?" 

"She asked me not to." 

"I should mean more to you than she does!" 

At this point Vanessa had given up on arguing with Mark. It was the first time he had ever properly screamed at her. Vanessa had helped Sloan find parents to adopt the child without telling Mark because Sloan didn't want him to know - but when Mark found out he was obviously very angry.

"It's what she wanted- it's what your daughter wanted, you should just want what she wants." 

"Don't throw that in my face! I can have my own opinion and my opinion is that you should not have done what you did!"

"I'm sorry that Sloan didn't want to keep the kid. I am. And I'm sorry I helped her get what she wanted and I'm sorry that you're hurting. But stop shouting at me." Vanessa's voice broke when she said the last part.

Mark rubbed his face, kneeling down on the floor and leaning his head against the wall beside him. He didn't say anything because he knew if he did he'd end up shouting again and he didn't want to shout at her anymore but he couldn't bring himself to look her in the eyes - she had helped in the sending-away of his grandson.

Everyone outside of the door had heard the argument and were looking at each-other, wondering why it had gone so quiet.

"Should we...?" A nurse suggested and Cristina held a hand up to silence her, putting her ear against the door to listen to what was going on.

"Mark?" Vanessa whispered and he only hummed slightly in response, still not facing her.

"So is that it then? Because I helped one of your children you're just going to abandon me and your other child?" She asked and his brought his head around to look at her.