CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"I kissed Addison." Mark blurted, unable to hold it in anymore. Derek snapped his head up, intrigued.

"Really?" He mused, looking at Mark's guilty face, "And Vanessa?" 

"None the wiser." Mark sighed, rubbing his forehead and looking at Derek, "Why do I keep doing this? Everytime it gets good for us I do something to ruin it."

"But you're going to tell her right?" Derek asked, hoping he wouldn't have to lie to one of his friends about his best friend.

"Yes, yeah. I have to." Mark spoke as if he was sure of himself but he felt anything but. How could he make such a colossal mistake? 

"Yes you do." Derek agreed, standing up to go and find Meredith, "Sooner the better." He patted Mark's shoulder and walked out of the cafeteria.

***

"I'm pregnant. Pregnant." Vanessa whispered, unable to process the information that had been presented to her just a few hours ago.

"Yep." Alex sighed, taking a bite out of his sandwich, "Told Sloan yet?"

"No." She sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose and looking up at Alex, "Why did this have to happen? As soon as our relationship is in a good place I have to go and get pregnant. Something always ruins it."

"But you're gonna keep it right?" Alex asked, hoping he didn't have to help you the pain of losing a baby.

"Yes, yeah." Vanessa sounded sure of herself but she was anything but. How could this be happening? In nine months she was going to have a child. A life that she was responsible for from now until 18 years was up.

"Good idea, I gotta go. Rounds." Alex agreed, standing up to go and do his job, "The sooner you tell him the better." He patted Vanessa's shoulder lightly and walked out of the cafeteria.

Vanessa looked around and she saw Mark sitting by himself at a table, his head in his hands. It looked like he hadn't touched the food that he had ordered and so she walked over to him and sat down next to him.

When he heard the movement he lifted his head up and his eyes flashed with an emotion Vanessa couldn't quite place but from his body language she could tell he was feeling angry and upset and she wondered what was wrong.

"Hey." She said simply, placing her hand over his that was rested on his cheek. He only hummed in response and she furrowed her eyebrows. Had someone told him about the pregnancy?

"What's going on?" She questioned and his eyes searched hers, his mind was racing and he knew he had to tell her now. He knew he couldn't allow her to continue to show him compassion when he had done such a terrible thing.

"I have something I need to tell you." He said, his voice quieter than she had ever heard it before and there was something ominous about the way he spoke, like he knew she wasn't going to like what he said. She removed her hand from his face and rested it on the table.

"Me too actually." She chuckled slightly to try and relieve some of the tension in the air around them, "But you first." She added, hoping that his news was nothing too big.

"Okay." He breathed, grabbing both of her hands across the table and rubbing his thumbs over her knuckles slowly. His eyes were scanning her face as if it was the last time he would ever see her and she was scared.

"Mark?" She reminded when he hadn't said anything for a while.

"Right. I... um... I..." He took a deep breath in and clutched your hands tighter, afraid to let go, "I kissed Addison." 

The sound of his hands hitting the table drew everyone's attention, all eyes were on their table as Vanessa flew out of her chair, the screeching sound filling the hall.