CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

almost a year later

***

Vanessa smoothed her dress down in the mirror and looked at her appearance. Her wedding dress was obviously white and it was like a princess dress - the skirt flowed out around her with pretty lace covering it. The bodice was technically strapless but Vanessa had lace sleeves sewn into it which made the dress everything she had ever wanted.

Cristina opened the door and smiled at her as she took in the sight of her dress. Meredith walked in behind her and smiled brightly, running forward and hugging her tightly. Lexie walked in as well and squealed with delight at how gorgeous Vanessa was.

Callie and Arizona walked in hand in hand and hugged her, congratulating her multiple times each.

These were her bridesmaids - Meredith, Cristina, Callie, Arizona and Lexie. The dream team. The six of them had pretty much planned everything for the wedding with the occasional input from Mark. He didn't care much - as long as she was there he was happy with it.

All of Vanessa's bridesmaids wore the same shade of blue dress just in different styles and everything came together perfectly. She turned when she heard the door open and Alex walked through, his suit was the same shade as the bridesmaids and he smiled brightly at her as he ran up to her and picked her up, lifting her above his head.

"Alex!" She giggled and he set her down, smoothing her arms despite the fact that they were already perfect. 

"Okay, everyone ready?" Owen called through the door and everyone lined up in-front of the door. Callie and Arizona walked down the aisle and stood in-front of some of the chairs at the front. Cristina and Meredith walked out together and did the same as Callie and Arizona and lastly Lexie walked down the aisle, holding hands with Charles with Alex behind her with Amelia walking beside him. 

Vanessa heard everyone 'aww' as the twins walked down the aisle and she took a deep breath in as she stood infront of the doors. She felt a presence beside her and turned her head to see Owen stood there, holding his arm out for her to take. 

As the music started Owen opened the door and lead her through and down the aisle. Vanessa's mind had been racing with thoughts throughout the whole day but as soon as her eyes met his at the end of the aisle all of her thoughts centred on one thing, one person; him.

Some of their memories played through her mind as she continued to walk down the aisle.

///

"It's raining." Mark had to yell over the sound of the rain bouncing off of the roof.

"Exactly." She smiled and he didn't have to be convinced anymore as she walked into the rain. She must have been freezing: she was only wearing a pair of her pyjama shorts and one of his dress shirts only buttoned up once in the middle but she started dancing around anyway, jumping around in the rain and holding her hand out for him to take. 

He smiled and took the plunge into the heavy rain and even as it burned his skin with the cold he bounced around with her, holding both of her hands and laughing loudly.

This was not something he would have ever done with anyone else but she just made it possible - she opened his mind to new possibilities and paths in his life and he wanted things with her that he had never thought he would want.

She stopped dancing as he had and they just stared into each-other's eyes. He pulled her closer by her hips, pressing her into his strong chest as he brought his head closer to hers and captured her lips in a passionate kiss. In the rain.

"I love you." It was the first time she had said it to him and he looked down at her with nothing but love in his eyes.

"I love you too."