CHAPTER SEVEN

"Vanessa. Got here as soon as I could, I was in a surgery." Alex came into the door, sitting down where Mark was sat a few hours ago and looking her over, "What happened?" 

"I don't know, something to do with exhaustion." She shrugged, looking over at him, "It's all rubbish - I should be out of here by now." 

"Didn't you just go home? Sleep?" Alex asked as if it was the easiest thing ever.

"No. My patient needed me and if I would have gone home then that baby could've died." 

"Hey! Have some faith in me I could've saved her." He defended, narrowing his eyes at her playfully, popping a crisp into his mouth and chewing it.

"Yeah I know but I saved her sooner." She groaned, looking up to the ceiling and closing her eyes. She wanted nothing more than to get up and do her rounds - and she had tried - but Owen caught her and carried her back to her room, taking the kicks and punches as she fought him. 

"I want to get out." She breathed, looking over at Alex with a meaningful glare, "Please help me get out." 

"What do you need?" Alex asked, ready to help - he was bored and needed something to do, "If you collapse again I'm not catching you." He adds, looking at her with a playful smirk on his face.

"Yes! Yes! You're the best." She gushed, getting up off of her bed and grabbing Alex's hand for support. He grabbed her hand and pulled her along, looking both ways before leaving the room and grabbing her charts from the nurses station.

"Who are we avoiding?" He asked, hiding her as much as he could next to him with his arm around her, keeping her close and stable.

"Owen definitely and Mark Sloan - if he's in a bad mood, if not he might support it." She pondered how Mark would react to her being up and on her feet. Technically she was supposed to be working now - she had rested and done everything they told her to. It was only exhaustion but Owen had insisted she stay in bed longer. She didn't know how Mark felt about the subject.

"So two of the most influential surgeons in this place? How am I supposed to do that?" He looked at her incredulously and she just shrugged, spotting Lexie Grey and moving Alex toward her.

"Lexie." She whisper-shouted, startling the young doctor.

"Doctor Hunt aren't you supposed to be in bed?" She asked, looking concerned.

"Yes and I need you to shadow us, make sure that neither Mark, Owen or anyone that could tell Mark or Owen sees us." She demanded and Lexie nodded, taking the instructions on board.

"Nice." Alex commented sarcastically, pulling Vanessa toward her first patient and discreetly pulling her into the room, closing the door quietly behind them as Lexie stood outside, leaning on the wall to try and be as nonchalant as possible.

"Joan, how is everything going?" Vanessa asked, looking over at her patient.

"Doctor Hunt? They told me you weren't going to be here for a couple of days?" Joan's mother asked, looking happy.

"Well I'm not supposed to be here," She gestured to her hospital gown, "So don't tell anyone okay, shhh." She leant down to the little girl on the bed, giving her a wide smile as she assessed her.

"It looks like you've healed really well, we'll be keeping you here for a day or two to make sure there's no risk of infection but other than that - you're doing really good." Vanessa smiled, patting Joan's arm and letting herself be engulfed in the hug that her mother sent her way.

Suddenly there was a knock at the door and Alex looked out, his eyes widening when he saw Owen about to walk into the room to check on his sister's patient.