CHAPTER FOUR

"It was weird Alex like, he just showed up and started asking me stuff - he said he asked Lexie about me and then he just left. We were talking and he just stood up said see you around and left." Vanessa ranted, stuffing the cereal into her mouth. 

Over the past couple of days, her and Alex had become very good friends and she visited his house regularly to talk. So when Mark Sloan had suddenly left and she couldn't get to sleep, she showed up at Alex's place at three am.

They were both eating cereal from the box, sat on his bed and talking about their problems - Vanessa was the only person Alex truly opened up to because he knew she wasn't the type to go telling other people his business and she certainly didn't judge.

"Maybe he remembered he had to go somewhere?" Alex offered, shrugging and stuffing more cereal into his mouth.

"Surely then he would say 'Hey I forgot something. I have to go.' not just run out of my room as if he was being chased." She sighed and Alex shrugged again, chewing on his cereal.

"How fast are we talking?" He spoke, cereal flying everywhere.

"Okay first, ew. And he properly ran out of my room, he turned for a second to say goodbye and then practically sprinted out of the door." Vanessa groaned, falling back onto Alex's bed in shame. 

What had she done that was so repulsive? What had happened for Mark to just run out of there?

Alex burst out laughing, falling off of the bed which caused Vanessa to start laughing uncontrollably. He reached his hand out and pulled her foot, dragging her off of the bed as well until they were both on a heap on the floor, laughing loudly.

"Hey. People are trying to sleep out here." They heard Cristina yell through the door, only sending them into more fits of laughter.

"Shut it!" She shouted, kicking the door and Vanessa put her finger to her lips, shushing Alex as she walked to the door, opening it and sticking her head out to meet Cristina's angry gaze.

"You shut it or I'll make sure you don't get to see the inside of an O.R. for three months" She challenged and Cristina's eyes widened before she huffed and walked off, putting her hand out and showing Vanessa her middle finger, causing her to chuckle, closing the door and walking back into Alex's room.

"Anyw-" She started but saw Alex asleep on the floor, cereal flowing over his stomach. She smiled warmly, taking a pillow from his bed and placing it underneath his head, cleaning the cereal and pulling his blankets down onto him. Watching him sleep peacefully, which was a bit creepy but Alex looked so happy while he was sleeping.

She shook her head, snapping herself out of the trance, picking up her bag and walking out of his room, padding down to the front door and walking out, saying goodbye to Meredith as she was awake in the kitchen, closing the door quietly behind her and walking to her hotel.

***

"Doctor Hunt." Alex said teasingly, coming up behind Vanessa and patting her shoulder lightly.

"Karev." She narrowed her eyes playfully, picking up her chart from the desk and waving goodbye to the nurse before walking off, Alex quick on her heels.

"I'm on your service today. It was supposed to be Yang but she traded with me to be with Other Hunt." He rolled his eyes, taking the chart from her hands and skimming over it before handing it back to her, opening the door to the room.

"Brad Wendy, appendix about to burst. Yesterday Mary decided that she was going to do the surgery - his chances of survival are high but there is the chance he won't wake up from the anaesthesia because his body is very weak." Vanessa explained, looking at both the mother and her son.