CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE

"He wants us to move to New York!"

"Oh, uh uh, you're not leaving." Alex shook his head as the group of them walked into the hospital.

"That's what I said!" 

"Yeah, no. You leaving would be bad." Jackson agreed with Alex and Vanessa took a sip of the coffee that she held in her hands.

"I know - I just got my sister back and he wants to move away?" 

"Three o'clock." Alex warned them and Vanessa furrowed her eyebrows in confusion until she saw Mark approaching them and they stopped walking in order for him to catch up to them.

"Oh, hi." Mark smiled slightly at the boys standing either side of Vanessa. 

"Hi." 

"Hey." The boys chorused, offering Vanessa quick smiles before they walked past Mark and joined back together, talking as they left.

"Everything okay?" Vanessa asked her husband, looking into his bright blue eyes and getting lost in them the same way that she did when they first met. She had always been told by her friends that love eventually dies and she was so happy that although they definitely had challenging moments, the love was still there between them.

"You look really pretty today." He smirked slightly at her and Vanessa raised her eyebrows, knowing what his compliments meant.

"And-and did I ever tell you about the way that your-"

"Mark," She interrupted him, "What did you do?" Mark sighed as he realised he had been caught and he took her hands in his, bending down slightly to be closer to her height.

"The people from New York called and...I...I have an interview with them on Tuesday." It took Vanessa a few seconds to realise what he had said and she looked toward the ground quickly before looking back into his eyes.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Well, an interview isn't the job. And if this is what you want maybe it should be a longer discussion."

"I love you." Mark breathed, leaning down and pressing his lips to hers quickly. She smiled and moved away from him, still holding his hands.

"I love you too. Maybe enough to move to New York."

"Maybe?" Mark asked, smirking slightly.

"Mm...possibly." Vanessa smiled as she dropped one of Mark's hands and swung the other around.

"Well, you married me, so..."

"Momentary lapse in judgement." Vanessa shrugged and Mark used his grip on her hand to pull her closer to him. She slammed into his chest harshly and giggled as he ghosted his lips over hers and she leaned up on her tiptoes to fully press her lips to his again. 

***

"Hey, Anna. I'm Dr Hunt and I'll be checking your incision site today." Vanessa smiled as she walked into the patient's room.

"W-where's Dr Robbins?" Anna's mother asked, seemingly pretty nervous about having a different doctor.

"She's not working today and I'm taking over her patients." She informed her and the mother nodded her head.

"Okay, so, Anna. Can you lift your gown so that I can see your stomach and make sure everything is going great?" She asked and Anna moved her gown up, showing Vanessa the healing incision from her surgery.

"Alright, is there any pain here?" Vanessa pressed lightly around the cut and Anna shook her head.

"Everything looks great, Anna. Good job." Vanessa held her hand out and Anna grinned as she high-fived Vanessa.