CHAPTER FORTY-TWO

Vanessa held a crying April in her arms, rubbing her back gently in an attempt to calm her down more. April had found out she hadn't passed her boards and Vanessa had stepped in to stop her from spiralling even more than she already was.

"You're gonna be okay," She soothed as April cried loudly into her shoulder, "You are gonna go back next year and ace them - it's fine. I've done the boards loads of times."

"Y-you took them l-loads of times because yo-you were smart." April pointed out and Vanessa grimaced slightly - not the greatest example.

"Okay, yeah. But you're a great doctor and a great surgeon and you deserve this, April. So stop crying, get up and go home because I'm exhausted and I'm guessing you are too." Vanessa ordered and April nodded, standing up and waving a weak goodbye before leaving and closing the door behind her.

Vanessa sighed and walked upstairs slowly, placing her hand on her small-4-month baby bump. She checked on the twins quickly, marvelling at how old they looked as they were now almost two.

She walked into the bedroom and glanced at Mark who was fast asleep, holding 'her side' of the blankets tightly in his arms. She undressed and walked around the bed, gently laying down on her side and pulling the covers from Mark's arms to throw over herself.

Mark moved slightly and latched his open arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him and burying his face into her neck. Vanessa smiled to herself and placed her hands on Mark's as she allowed herself to drift off into a dreamless sleep.

***

"Where are your rings?" Mark asked as he and Vanessa ate lunch in the cafeteria.

Vanessa looked down at her hand and realised she wasn't wearing them like she thought she was. She began to panic before realising where they were. She placed her hand down her dark blue scrub top and pulled a chain out.

On the chain hung her two rings and she took the chain off, slipping the rings off and placing them back on her finger. 

"The kids down in peds like to try and take them off so I put them on the chain." She explained and Mark nodded in understanding, taking a bite of his sandwich but not taking his eyes off of her.

"What?" She laughed and Mark smiled at her. Just as he was about to say something Vanessa felt a tug at her coat and she turned around to see one of her patient's siblings pulling on her coat. Vanessa stood up off of her chair and crouched down to the little girls level.

"Hi." She smiled and the girl smiled back, holding her hand out as if asking for a high five and Vanessa pressed two of her fingers into her palm in a mini high five. The girl laughed and Vanessa spotted the parents looking for the little girl.

She picked the girl up, placing her on her hip and walking over to the parents.

"She's here," Vanessa informed them as she set the girl down in front of the parents, "Sorry, she must've found me." 

The parents just laughed as the father picked up the little girl while the mother pulled Vanessa in for a hug. Vanessa was surprised but accepted the hug nonetheless, remembering how their son was ready to go home soon after a simple appendectomy but the parents were 'forever thankful'. Vanessa pulled away from the embrace and smiled warmly at the parents.

"Janey is just very appreciative - she recognises you as the woman who saved her older brother - you're her hero." The mother explained and Vanessa's smile grew if that was possible as she tickled the young girls neck gently, making her giggle.

"I'm sorry we were so...annoying about it," The father laughed nervously as he spoke, "We know it's a simple procedure but he's our son-"

"Sir, I assure you - if either of my children were going into surgery for anything I would be twice as worried. It's actually very comforting when parents ask as many questions as you guys did - it makes it clear that the children will have a great support system." Vanessa assures them and they look at each other before looking back to Vanessa.