CHAPTER THIRTY

Vanessa stumbled into the hospital, clutching her leg as Mark leaned on her, trying his best to stop the blood from leaving his abdomen. 

"Help!" She screamed, Mark's weight was completely shifted onto her as he blacked out. Derek and Meredith turned from the nurses station upon hearing the cry and gasped, running quickly toward the couple. Derek took Mark out of Vanessa's arms and got him on a gurney as quick as he could, wheeling him away from her eyesight.

As soon as Vanessa knew Mark was in safe hands, she allowed the black edges of her vision grow. She saw Meredith run over to her and she clutched her arms. 

"Vanessa, what happened?" Meredith asked, trying her hardest to keep Vanessa conscious.

"Go-go to the house - Jake...Jake!" Vanessa fell out of Meredith's arms and tried to run out of the doors but the pain in her leg became too much and she fell over, smacking her head on the floor and falling unconscious.

///

"He's back?" Vanessa asked, coming downstairs with Amelia in her arms. Jake turned his head to look at her and nodded before looking back out of the window. 

It had been a week or so since Will first visited the house and it seemed that he was back again, looking for Jake. 

"Can't you just pretend like you don't know me? Then he'll leave you alone." Jake suggested but Vanessa shook his head.

"He's already seen you come here and he's probably seen you come and go during the day.

Jake sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I'm so sorry to bring this to you." He breathed and Vanessa walked over to them, placing her hand on Jake's shoulder to re-assure him.

"It's fine - what kind of friends would we be if we left you to deal with this yourself?" Vanessa smiled at him and he gave a weak smile back. 

Will knocked on the door again and looked around, checking for any activity in the house. Vanessa took her phone out and wrote a text to Mark who was still at the hospital.

'Will's here, don't come
home yet. Let you know
when it's safe :)'

She shut her phone off and placed it on the table, bouncing Amelia around. She heard Charlie start crying upstairs and she sighed in exasperation.

"Here, give me her." Jake offered and Vanessa handed Amelia over to him, leaving to collect Charles. 

She walked into the nursery and picked Charlie up, cradling him in her arms and bouncing around a few times before she walked downstairs to hear yelling. She immediately covered Charlies head as she ran into the living room to see Jake sitting in front of the sofa, whispering to Amelia to keep her calm as Will started screaming outside.

"Jake? What's going on?" Vanessa questioned, her voice hushed slightly as she walked quickly over to him.

"I don't know. When you went upstairs he started banging on the door and screaming that he knew I was here," Jake seemed frantic and panicky as he held Amelia, "I'm scared." His voice broke and Vanessa held her hand out, pulling him up with her.

"Okay. We'll be okay." She peered out of the window to see Will pacing around the driveway, his hand in his deep pocket.

"What if he-"

"We're not going to talk about that. We're gonna be fine." Vanessa soothed, starting to freak out herself but trying to keep it together for Jake and the babies.