CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Vanessa was sat on one of the waiting room chairs, waiting for Mark to get out of surgery. She had to have her wound cleaned and checked for infection before it was stitched up. And it hurt like hell, but all of her energy was focused on making sure Mark was okay.

She bounced her un-injured leg up and down anxiously until she saw Jake and Alex walk in, each holding one of the twins in their arms.

Meredith had sent Alex to check on Jake at the house since he wasn't doing anything else at the time. Jake looked completely fine if a little emotional and the twins were giggling and laughing in the boys' arms.

Vanessa got up and wrapped her arms around Jake's neck, giving him a lose hug as he was still holding Amelia. He wrapped one arm around her waist, accepting the embrace before she pulled away and looked into his eyes.

"Is everything okay? Will?" She asked, her voice frantic. Jake turned to Alex and he stepped forward, sympathy in his eyes for her.

"He uh...  there was no pulse." Alex informed and Vanessa took a shocked step back. She hadn't kicked him that hard, had she? She looked down at the floor and thought about the events that had led up to this moment.

"How's Mark?" Jake asked, his voice wobbling. He felt so guilty that he was the reason Mark had been hurt - he knew he shouldn't have involved them in his problems. 

"He's in surgery, it was a pretty deep wound - they're just checking it didn't puncture anything v-vital." Vanessa informs, swallowing the lump in her throat.

Arizona and Callie walk around the corner, completely unaware of everything that had happened in the past couple of hours.

"Vanessa! What are the babies doing he-" Arizona started, her usual grin on her face.

"Is everything okay?" Callie questioned, reading the expressions on everyone's faces. Vanessa's red eyes and tear stained cheeks, Alex's shock and sympathy, Jake's panic and guilt.

Callie raked her eyes over the babies and everything looked fine. Only one other person would pull this reaction out of everyone and she felt the worry rush into her body for her best friend.

"Mark was stabbed." Vanessa says, her face deadpan. Arizona's grin immediately drops off of her face and she reaches forward, hugging Vanessa who hugs her back tightly. 

"Jake is it?" Arizona turns to Jake and he nods, tears in his eyes.

"Follow me, we'll take the babies someplace else - as the godparents." Arizona manages a small smile and a wink as she takes Charlie out of Alex's hands and leads Jake away from the situation, sensing the tension between the group.

As soon as they round the corner, tears fall from Vanessa's eyes freely and Alex - the closest of the two other doctors - led her over to the seats and sat her down. He took a seat next to her and Callie did the same thing. Vanessa dropped her head down, not being able to find the strength to hold it up.

Callie and Alex shared a glance over her back before Alex pulled her head to his shoulder and Callie texted Owen. Vanessa needed him more than her at the moment. 

---

Owen was in the middle of a surgery when a phone beeped. He looked up from the body and one of the nurses looked one the tray.

"Dr Hunt it's yours." She announced and Owen sighed.

"Is it Dr Yang?" 

"No sir, it's Dr Torres."

"Is it concerning any other doctor?" Owen asked, he had already started to continue the surgery, not expecting the message to be anything important.