Phone Calls

~Chapter 2~

After leaving Harvey's cell last night, I finished my paper work and left the asylum. I headed to get some groceries and things I needed. After getting what I needed, I picked up the paper bags and started walking home. It was one of those days where I hated myself for living so far from the asylum. To add to that, I didn't quite like the night, but not because of the common reason everyone has. I, for one, do not hate the batman, nor am I scared of him to be quiet frank. He's good for Gotham, yet he's trying to do what's right, while everyone else in Gotham hates on him.

I was 3 blocks away from home, I was passing by the Gotham National Bank. That's when I started hearing police sirens. Gordon and his men pulled over and pulled out their guns, when the glass behind me broke. That's when about 4 guys with clown masks got out and started shooting some of the officers down.

One of the clowns grabbed me and I felt his gun come to my head, while the other clowns also grabbed hostages. I looked over at Gordon and he realized my presence.

Gordon was very fond of me and I appreciated what he does. We were friends. He called for his men to drop their guns when The Joker appeared. It was the first time I ever saw the guy. That is, after his last stay at arkham, of course. However, I'd never seen him up this close, at that time I was only a secretary. He then stepped over the broken glass and walked closer to the police. 

" Ahhh Gordon, you never give up do ya?!" His voice rasped. " Why do you always force me to take the lives of your poor friends?" He cocked his head to the side.

Joker was about to speak again when batman came up from the broken glass behind him and hit him straight on the head. Several police men then scrambled around and cuffed the joker, others stopped the clowns.

The guy that was holding me then dropped his gun and Gordon then grabbed him and shoved him to his friend. I looked around and saw The Joker getting into one of the police cars. He caught my gaze and gave me a sarcastic smile then sat back. After cuffing the guy, Gordon turned to me.

" You okay, kid?" He gave me a worried look and I diverted my gaze away from The Joker. 

"Yeah I'm alright, thanks commissioner." I spoke. " Do you need me to, uh, make some calls for him?" I looked over at the joker. 

"Well maybe for tomorrow morning, we have to take himdown  to the police department first." He said. " But do tell them he's gonna be there tomorrow, we don't need any surprises, just make sure they're prepared." He explained.

"Sure Gordon, thanks again." I grabbed my bags off the floor. " Go home kid, stay safe." He said to me and walked over to his car.

The police cars started pulling away, and I saw the joker with his head out of the police car with his mouth opened  and tongue out as it moved away. 

After I headed home, I made a few calls to the asylum. I made sure they were gonna prepare a cell and provide extra security just in case. This man really was scary, I have to admit I was genuinely scared of him. He's just inexplicable. That night I waited for sleep ,but it just didn't come.

The next day, I couldn't think straight about anything. I grabbed my bag and headed to the asylum. Everything and everyone was busy that day. Things sorta calmed down at around 2 PM but everyone's anxiousness was almost visible.

Around 3, a couple of Gordon's men entered the asylum with The Joker in the middle and Gordon leading. Everyone in the room was staring, and with every step they took closer to my desk, I felt my anxiety rising. The Joker, however, was keeping his cool. He just followed along with a well revised smirk. As they passed by my desk, he slightly turned his head and he winked at me. He wasn't as scary with his hands bound, in the lighting of the asylum. At least here, he can't ruin anyone's life. I then remembered Harvey. I grabbed my bag and headed up to his cell.

Who knows how he would react if he knew Joker was here. I made my wat to his cell, of course not using the same hallway the police were currently using. I don't have a death wish. I then got out my ID and entered his cell.

"Striker? What are you doing here? We don't have an appointment today." he said. 

" Uh, I know, but I can see you whenever I want to, can't I?!" I sorta panicked, which I tried to cover by flashing him a smile.

" You know Eva, I'm not gonna plot his murder or anything, and you really don't know how to lie." He spoke.

"You know he's here?" I asked. " News travel fast." He shrugged. " How are you feeling about him being here?" I asked.

He looked at the ground then grinned, " well uh, you know at least he can't ruin anyone else's life in here." 

Harvey never looked more vulnerable. He's seen past the hatred and now he's just depressed I guess, he looked like he was about to break. He's always started yelling and screaming when it came to the joker but this time he wasn't. I guess his grief is bigger than his anger.

He looked at the wall on his right, he had both his hands in his lap, intertwined with each other. His hands were slightly shaking even though he squeezed them to stop.

" Harvey." I spoke and he flinched. " Remember what we talked about, she's in a better place." He took a deep breath and looked at me. " I don't know how you do this." He half smiled. 

" Do what? " I grinned at him. " You get people to open up, you're soothing and you seem like you're the strongest person ever." He spoke.

I smiled at him, " I got you the chocolate." I grabbed it from my bag and handed it to him and he smiled. " Yeah, thanks." He said, " not only for the chocolate, for checking up on me too." 

" We're friends Harvey, It's fine." I smiled. I try my best to make him feel like we're not just a doctor patient relationship otherwise he'll never speak, but he really is one of my only friends. 

" Can you slap him for me?" He spoke then grinned. " No can do, he's Maxwell's patient." I said.

"Well if you happen to catch him alone, teach that bastard a lesson yeah?" He smiled and I nodded and left his cell.

On my way back to my desk, there was a bunch of screaming coming from joker's cell then some gun shots. I saw Gordon in the hallway. " What's going on? " I jogged to keep up with him. " He injured Maxwell, he had a knife in his shoes." He spoke. I was just about to react but he cut me off. He stopped and grabbed my shoulders, " it's fine Eva we locked him up go back to your desk." Gordon spoke. 

I headed back as told. It hasn't even been an hour! I sat back at my desk. I started doing some paper work again. I thank god, I didn't have any patients today. It's stressful enough.

As I was about to leave I was stopped by Dr. Jeremiah. To be honest with you, he wasn't my favorite guy out there but I tolerated him.

" Striker, you're gonna be taking over the joker case." He spoke firm and clear. " Excuse me?" I choked. " You heard me, you're one of our finest and Dr. Maxwell is in the hospital, so you take over." He said.

" Sir, did you miss the part were he nearly killed him but the cut just wasn't deep enough?!" My voice got louder.

"Ms. Striker you're gonna have security outside the cell and he's gonna be cuffed and stripped from all his weapons, now not another word from you, you could always resign." He urged.

He handed me a paper with our appointments and with that he left. Our next appointment was tomorrow. How am I ever supposed to accomplish this?!

I put the paper in my bag and left. The rest of the day I couldn't think of anything else. How am I supposed to? A truck load of responsibilities just got dumped on my head!

------------------------------------------------------

That was the second chapter!

hope you guys like it, don't forget to vote and tell me what you think in the comments below.

Winter vacation coming soon! hope you all have a great one! hopefully ill have time to update.

much love xx