Chapter 1

Violet's POV

The New York City skyline had never looked this attractive, especially just before a long shift at the hospital. Being a doctor, I bleed to help others, I would risk my own life just to make sure others can be happy, it was not in my blood to show arrogance despite being a Harvard Med School student and a MBA degree holder from New York University, I respected others. If I could, I would marry my profession, to me, it meant the world. I got up from my bed and got ready for the day, a long shower further relaxed me and I wore my scrubs along with my lab coat. I tied my hair in a ponytail and wore my Tom Ford watch, it was a gift from my parents to me when I graduated Med School otherwise I would never portray such an act of wasteful expenditure. Both of my parents ran their company Carlot Industries, surprise, I am a Doctor. Business was never for me, it required too much effort and dedication but being a Doctor was just magical to me, I could not think of anything other than it. "Violet dear, it's time for your shift." My housekeeper Sonia announced, she had been with us for 5 years now, she was an absolutely amazing human being. I sat on my stool at the kitchen island and had my avocado toast while catching up with my Twitter account. After a delicious breakfast, I sat in my Audi and left for the hospital. "Hey Dr. Violet, how are you?" the receptionist Patricia asked me. "Good Patricia, how are you?" She nodded her head and smiled in response. Everybody was just so friendly at work, I could not thank God enough for whatever he had given me. "Dr. Violet, you need to examine these test results, and Patient 204 is waiting for you in her room!" I smiled, "Yes Dr. Amna, I know, thank you so much for the reminder."

"How are you feeling Amelia, does it hurt anywhere?" The child was caught in a car accident and her leg had to be amputated, I could understand her pain and it hurt to see her in so much agony. My phone rang in the pocket of my scrubs, "Sweetie, can you come home early, me and your Father have something important to take about with you?" My heart leaped in my chest, "Sure Mom, whatever you need." I heard her sigh, "I don't know what me and your Father do to deserve a perfect daughter like you, love you sweetie, come home." I had about 2 hours until my shift ended so I decided to head home then, "Mom, I will be free in 2 hours, I'll meet you then if that's okay?"

"Sure love, whatever you say." I continued my examination, "So, do you need any counselling Amelia, just talk to me whenever you feel like you need to talk to Dr. Linda for counselling." She heaved a sigh, "I'm scared, can you please send Dr. Linda in?" I weakly smiled, "Sure thing Amelia, I'll send her right in." I stepped outside her room, "Dr. Linda!" She came running down the hall, almost breathless. "Yes Dr. Violet, you called?" I laughed, "Yes I did, it's okay, calm down Dr. Linda." We both shared a light moment. I went outside in the lobby and sat down on the chairs until I saw my very good friend, Sarah, come towards me. "Hey Violet, how are you and how was your shift today?" I laughed heartily in response, "The usual, boring but my parents called me home to talk I'm scared as fuck." She laughed, "It's not like they are going to murder you or barter you off!" I heaved a breathy sigh, "The business world is scary Sarah, anything can happen at any time and you don't know, life is unexpected."