Chapter 26

Violet's POV

I again welcomed darkness as my eyes slowly took in the whole room that reeked of urine and alcohol, something that might haunt others, brought me back to the haunted reality I was captured in. It was again Reed's fault, how much pain can one inflict in someone's life, after all, he had every right; how could he be my partner, this thought haunted me. My very own husband brought me discomfort and anguish, but then again, was he really my husband? Perhaps Sarah was true in everything she said, what we had was not a marriage but a compromise that was holding onto my kindness. But for what I knew, I was not being kind, I ignored Reed and tried to keep a safe distance between ourselves so that this could end quickly. However, I could not control myself from being compelled in his life, how gently he treated Melanie and the way he promised the world to her. I had been denied that love way too many times that its desire had no longer been left in me. I needed solace and warmth at this point, even if it was fake, I just needed comfort. Get a grip Violet, what about your patients, is this a good look for them?

We all are fighting our own inner demons that its hard to figure out which turn our life will really take, it was this case between me and Reed. We were there to meet the expectations this cruel world had set for us, but I needed someone to provide me with hope, like a child, I lingered onto the false hope Reed gave me once, the way he said that he would listen to my worries rather than suicide story led me to each day with him. It was like candy being given to a child, sweetness for one moment and permanent damage for the rest. "Well, well, well, isn't Dr. Violet up and about?" A mysterious voice brought me back to reality as panic gripped my insides. "Who's-who's there?" A figure emerged into the light, a black hoodie covered his lean figure and a gun hung low with his belt. "Why it's me Doctor, your friend." A pathetic excuse for a friend. "I'm sorry Sir, but I don't know you, do you- do you work for my husband?" He chortled, increasing my fear about the consequences. "Do you call that man your husband, who isn't even the slightest bit faithful to you, pardon my informality, but I know about the contract between your families, it's a rather cheap move for billionaires like you." I gulped, "I'm sorry but I really have no idea about the business world you're talking about." He bent down to my level, "Dr. Violet, I'm a former psychologist, I know that you're clearly hurt by that man, we both are, his family drowned my ancestral company, a loss worth billions; moreover, we were on the road until I decided to get a grip on my life and vowed to destroy that bastard's life." I was at a lost for words. "You hold on to him just because your parents expect you to, it's a rather stupid move for someone as intelligent as you." My throat dried up, "I-I am so sorry for the pain Reed caused you, but I find-I find it hard to believe that someone as strong-willed as you, would-would do this." He shook his head and sighed, "Doctor, we're all terrified of something, for example, you, how you're so scared of me pulling the trigger-" He slowly took out the gun and placed it on my head, "I know how you feel, so helpless and afraid, that's what I want that billionaire man to feel, small and futile." 

His fingers gently wrapped around the trigger as he stared at me with his lifeless eyes, "Please, I am really sorry for what happened but please let me go, I have a family and patients who rely on me, please, how can I help you?" He tilted his head, "I am sorry to break it to you but-" He jabbed my neck with an anesthetic, "But you're going to be down for a very long time." 

Reed's POV

"She's a lying bitch for what I know, an attention-seeking parasite," Melanie huffed as she crossed her arms. Those words hurt me, it was my fault but why was she the one to connotative with these names after the phone call. "Don't ever say that again Melanie, can't you see how lifeless that girl has become, I was the one who dragged her into this mess-" I was constantly clutching and loosening my grip on the phone until I saw Violet's parents call me. "Reed, oh god, please do you have any information on where Violet is, our team is also on the look-out," Mr. Emery was on the line, he was clearly not in good spirits. "Yes, my team is also on the search, the results for the tracking have not come to me yet." He sighed, "God, please keep my daughter safe." 

I stood in front of the empty and deserted barn that my team had suspected to have the person who held Violet hostage. "Sir, I want you to go in there alone and we'll be behind you in case anything happens to you or your wife." I visibly cringed at the word, wife. If she really was my wife, then none of this would happen. I would never let Melanie be caught up into this mess. I slowly climbed the steps as I held the cash in my hands, guilt gnawing at my insides like it would tear apart my every fiber. I entered the room that had a putrid odor to it, everything was pitch black except some light trickled in through the broken roof. "So, you came. Surprising that your lavish lifestyle did not stop you from taking a jet lag nap." Then, my eyes caught sight of Violet's unconscious body on the other side, my heart bled at the sight. "Let Violet go, I've got 100 million dollars with me." I tried fighting an inner battle, "Sure, leave the money right here and take the girl with you." I gently dropped the black bag in the middle of the room as I slowly walked towards Violet, "Tsk! Tsk! Did you really think you'd make it alive out of here?" He pulled out a gun and at that cue, my entire team walked into the room, holding rifles and different artillery in their hands. "Pathetic liar, don't you dare step forward, or your pretty wife doesn't make it out alive!" 

But before anyone could make a move, one of my security members discreetly shot at his leg and the whole room broke into a war-zone. I silently loosened the rope on Violet's hands and lifted her up, there were purple blood constriction marks on her neck as well as arms. I sprinted outside and put her lifeless body in one of the cars and instructed the driver to hurry as everyone else also gathered outside after the tragic incident.