Chapter 30

Violet's POV

It was a cold, winter day, a perfect New York morning where everything seems so white, as if a thick blanket covers everything in sight except for the occasional twinkling of the headlights or traffic signals. Recently, I got into a habit of creating art pieces, it was something about the strokes of the paintbrush that calmed my nerves, brought my senses back to reality. Reed had been staying away for a long time, he seldom came home and even when he did, his eyes were always inclined towards his room. There were no greetings between us and we always found ways to stay away from each other. Lost in our very own rhythms. Today, I wanted to draw a "man," someone who was masculine, the kind of person who had a dominating aura, someone who was different. It was just a thought, waiting to be transferred on the blank canvas. I never considered myself an expert but in solitude came ideas that seemed so imaginary, so tedious. The pencil cast a single line on the white medium, that soon turned into a billion others, intertwining as if they needed each other for air. The eyes- they have to be blue, deeper than the ocean itself. Slowly, the idea began to take form, the hair, nose and jawline. What happened in the end scarred me for life, I clutched the pencil so harshly that it could have broken into two. The picture closely resembled Reed, the eyes bore through me, asking questions that I was too afraid to answer myself. I stumbled backwards, knocking over the paints and ran out of my bedroom, only to find the apartment empty. I sat on the floor in the kitchen, huddling my body close to my chest, rocking back and forth. This was not supposed to happen, Reed was everywhere, even in my own consciousness. 

Reed's POV

Me and Melanie had finally decided to get together after a week of staying apart, it was like I needed her the most in my life. More than oxygen or air itself, she was my lifeline, the blood that flowed in my veins. After a quick dinner, she decided to head back home early instead of coming with me but I knew that it must have been her career or the modeling agency, "See you tomorrow babe." With that, we hugged briefly and she left. I decided that going to the apartment was much safer because it was quite late and dangerous to be out and about in New York. Charles drove me back to the complex as my fatigued body could take no more of the driving problem. "Pick me up at 7 am tomorrow." He nodded his head as I finally got out, the security guard grabbed my bag and essentials as I entered the floor number on the elevator dial. The door tinged open and there was complete darkness everywhere, a cold air lurked around that chilled you to the bone. I asked Alexa to turn on the lights, silence again. Everything was spick and span, but not even a single soul. I grabbed my work materials from the door to head to my room but I literally jumped out of my skin when I saw Violet laying on the kitchen floor, almost dead.  I threw everything in a frenzy and knelt down hurriedly to check her pulse, to my luck, she was alive. I thanked God because if anything happened to her, I would never be able to forgive myself. I grabbed Violet in my arms and took her to her room, there was paint spilled everywhere on the floor and there was a canvas on the other side which I could not make out, but I decided to leave quickly before she woke up and beat me to death for touching her. 

Violet's POV

Again darkness- but this time I was back on the bed in my room. Morning light had decided to trickle in through the windows which meant that it must have been around 4 or 5 o clock in the morning, due to boredom, I was an expert in telling the time. My eyes darted to the painting of someone who closely resembled Reed, but this time I did not care that much because there were 7 billion people in the world, 18.8 million people in New York and a 50% possibility of seeing someone who resembled Reed in this world. But I feared something deeper, far worse than what these petty issues told me. I was preparing for the worst, making way for more trouble to come my way next.