Chapter 23

Violet's POV

A week. All I needed was a week away from the fast paced life I was trapped in- a life of continuous troubles and problems that never ended. I was never afraid of the consequences, because I knew everything would end up against me. I looked at Reed who was hastily assembling his luggage as the porter leaned against the door frame; he was busy on the phone, talking to one of the flight agents, of course he would have a private jet plane. "Did you pack everything you needed, do you need me to help you with anything?" He looked at me, I wonder why he was so adamant on doing everything by himself. I could never read his eyes, they were gentle at times and at other times they were so distant and cold. "No thank you Violet, I can do it all by myself." Internally, he was jubilant, our smart television had a slideshow going on the whole night, all about the famous landmarks in Paris and about the famous white hills of Denver Beach. "So what about you, so you'll be heading to your parent's home or you'll stay in this apartment?" I shrugged, "Mom called, she wants me to visit her and stay with her for as long as she wants to, the spare key is in that jar, I'll drop it off at your parent's house, you can stay with Melanie in this apartment, until you feel comfortable." He came closer and I involuntarily walked back, "I'll always feel comfortable Violet, this is my apartment." I crossed my arms, "I didn't mean anything like that, she's your fiance, you can live with her as long as you want, till your last breath, I'll never stop you as I promised, nevertheless, my promise makes no difference." An awkward silence settled between us, "Yeah, so pray for me that I reach France safely." I nodded, "Will do." He scratched the back of his neck, I took out my hand for him to shake but he put it down and hugged me instead. I was extremely stiff because I did not like someone invading my personal space, I gently patted him back on his shoulder. "Stay safe, I-I'll... never mind, have a nice week." He held back from something but I did not ask him what he wanted to say, "Have a safe journey Reed." We broke away and the same awkwardness settled between us, "Bye Violet." He exited out the door and did not even look at me back, not even once. It was my queue to get ready for work. After wearing my scrubs, I locked "our" apartment and entered the lavish elevator, leaning against the golden walls. My Audi stood in its usual position in the parking lot, lonely even though it was sleek and ravishing. I got my usual coffee order from Starbucks, that was a Nitro Cold Brew; afterwards, I sped towards my usual workplace, the hospital. 

Reed's POV

I stared out of my window, looking at the grim environment of New York City that was inviting but at the same time, it was dangerous. With sparkling open jaws, it welcomed its people and ate them up, trapping them in a cycle of business but some in love. It did both for me, business broke me but Melanie fixed me. Fortunately, she did not treat me like a broken workaholic but more or less like a person who needed severe fixing. My thoughts kept drifting back to Violet, yes, I would miss her. It was difficult not to say things out loud to her because of the circumstances we were trapped in, I could sense her crippling depression but I tried the best in my capacity to heal it. I organized the party just to make her feel good but everything backfired because it was a big leap all at once. I was having this on-going conversation with my parents about the fact that we should end this marriage in a divorce but they kept saying that I had gotten what I needed, the proposal to Melanie and a sensible wife to show to the public. For them, Melanie was just a money-sucking bimbo who was with me for the fame, I was indeed against Melanie's extravagant money-spending habit but it never bothered me because every girl has some dreams. However, I always left a credit card on the table for Violet but she never spent even a single cent, that is indeed integrity. I was inspired by her but I never let that sense ofaoration come in between the love I had for Melanie.