Chapter 19

Reed's POV

That was right, I had proposed to Melanie, it was all falling into plan; hopefully,my parents wouldn't know but would this all hurt Violet, infidelity in marriage is the last thing women want in their marriage albeit all being a contract. "I am so glad that you're mine for eternity babe, I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you," I whispered. I saw Violet standing outside her room, there was darkness all around her but I could definitely see her silhouette and ever so silently, I heard the door click shut. "Who organized the dinner Reed it was absolutely breath-taking?" I gulped, guilt gnawing at my insides. "Violet," it almost came out in a whisper. An uncomfortable silence settled between us, "I am sorry to say this Reed but she's just a distraction in the middle and isn't comfortable with the social life, can you please end the contract now?" Were we really friends or was I distracting myself?

Violet's POV

I lay in darkness, barely making anything out. I was a fool- an imbecile to think that things could or would work out between us, wasn't it every girl's right to have a faithful husband when I was being so true to him and the contract? If he could break one term then I surely could break one too-I am going to move away, buy a penthouse apartment with my own money and get away from this mess. He was never my friend, Reed was an enemy, this contract makes me self-deprecate myself and cry to sleep every night because I know I can't be like Melanie- curvy and voluptuous, likable and honest. Was I really being honest to myself? I felt my eyes close and I drifted away to a nightmare, in where I could barely make out the difference between a dream and reality. After getting ready in the morning, I prepared to do the worst but the wisest of my judgement. Reed was sitting on the sofa watching CNN, typical billionaire behavior. "Reed, can I talk to you for a second?" He looked at me, "Yeah sure." I fidgeted with the disgraceful ring on my finger, "Reed, this-this isn't working out, all I do is make things easy for you but in the end, I get hurt and I-I don't want to be a hindrance to you and Melanie, if-if you can lie to hide this engagement then it won't be that hard to lie about us being divorced." It all came out in one breath, I took the ring off from my finger, "You can't ride in two boats Reed albeit one being forced on you." He was staring at me in silence, "Seriously Violet, you can think you can walk away from this life, do you really wanna believe that?" I wanted to but I couldn't, "Violet, your company is in a debt that has 35% left to be paid, if you leave, think about your parents." Anger boiled inside me, "I don't want this bartering Reed, I have no one in this world, even my own parents have broken all ties with me and never call, please lets break this contract so I can do my job in peace, you know its for the better Reed!" He got up from his chair and walked towards me, whispering in my ear, "The only day you'll walk out of this marriage is when we get the money, I have a reputation Violet, I have to feign my innocence to the world too." To hell with this, "You can't control me Reed, try doing that to your VS model because I'd rather die than submit to you!" He laughed, "If you try to commit suicide, think about the consequences, no shares for your parents." 

"Try me!" With that, I slammed the door on his face.