Chapter 2

Violet's POV

The ride home was almost unbearable, I knew something bad was going to happen because my parents would never ever call me home urgently and I was already too tired. The mansion gates opened and I drove my car to the porch, my heart was pounding in my chest and I even felt it come to my throat. "Ma'am, would you like me to take your car to the basement car park?" I nodded my head, my breath was shaky and apprehension took the best of me. I went inside the main door and saw my parents sitting on the dinning table, talking in discreet voices. "Ah Violet love, how are you, you must be tired, should I ask the cook to prepare some tea?" I cocked my eyebrow, "You never said that before, must be a special occasion and yes, I would like some tea and dinner of course." They both smiled wearily as I took off my stethoscope, "Sit down love, we have something we want to talk to you about." Sonia, set down the cup in front of each of us and I smiled in return, she was such a lively woman, she and her husband both were amazing people. "Yes Mother and Father, that's why I am here, please do tell me!" They sat there in silence, my heart was leaping out of my chest. Father bent towards the table and looked at me, "Sweetie, you know how much we love you and all we want to see is you being happy, our company is friends with Wilson Industries and we really want to extend our friendship towards them, the best way to do this is a marriage between...you and their heir Reed Wilson, I know dear that after my death you will be the one taking care of the business but this is only a contract marriage for 4 years, all the terms can be decided by you, do it for us please." It felt like all my blood was pooled in my legs and an ice-cold bucket was thrown on my head. "But, but Dad there has to be a way, I just can't...get married to a stranger, there has to be a way!" Mom wept into her hands, "I wish there was a way but I'm afraid we are in debt, they need to show that their son is a capable man, we raised you and educated you, fuck it's all our fault, getting into business was a problem!" I looked at both of them, "You cannot just barter me off, I won't agree!" Dad too had tears in his eyes, "It's temporary love, you can visit us whenever you want, it's not a real marriage, you'll both be divorced at the end, for us love, for us." Tears stringed at the corner of my eyes, but I was strong, for them, I would do anything. "Do...do...do I have to give up my job?" They both shook their head, "No dear, of course not, you don't have to give up your job neither do you have to be intimate, he already has a girlfriend and you can also mention in the contract that you have some terms, like being allowed to be in a relationship but the terms shouldn't be violated." 

"I'll do it... for you... I'll do anything." They both hugged me, "What did we do to deserve a daughter like you? May God bless you child." I had to be strong, at least I could work, I would drown myself in all things work-related. Never in my life did I have a boyfriend, I was a virgin non-alcoholic girl who believed in ethics and morals but if he was a play-boy, things would clash and come down but at least he had a girlfriend, I'll live, and I'll be helpful.