Chapter 37

Violet's POV

At lunchtime, I saw Sarah sitting alone in the cafeteria, with her head on the table, the sight in front of me was of a broken woman and I could see my reflection in her, but God knows why all the supposed strong women are caught in hefty messes. What if we are not that strong but show that we are, despite the fact that everything breaks down in front of us but we act with a strong facade, unknown pretenses that are hidden and yet so visible, if only someone invests their time in us. I approached her and gently patted on her shoulder, "Hey, are you okay?" She quickly got up and a smile appeared on her face, "Yeah I am, come sit, I was waiting for you." Clearly there was something boggling her but for now I was going to let it slide since she was not comfortable telling me, "You know you can share anything with me right?" She vigorously nodded her head, "Yeah I know girl, forget about me, what's up with your life?" I uneasily shifted in my seat, "The same, the infamous Reed drama." She chuckled, "I wish I could relate with you." We laughed on random jokes until we heard that our break time was over, "Yeah I have to head back now, see you later." We briefly hugged until we parted ways, "See you later Ultra-Violet." I grinned at her and rolled my eyes, "Real professional." I noticed Dr Amna fidgeting with her fingers when I walked past her, "Good morning Dr. Violet." I smiled, "I sense some difficulty here Dr Amna, are you sure you don't need anything?" There was uneasiness around her, "Dr. Violet, I've been facing burn-out nowadays, I don't think Dr. Astrid will agree when I ask for a leave, I thought that maybe you'd talk to her." Being a doctor, I could see the reason why burn-out is a problem. "Sure, I was going to talk to her about something else, I can present your case to her as well." A wide grin spread on her face, "Please do, it would really a mean a lot." 

One word for Dr. Astrid, she had the anger of an asteroid, close to her name. One mistake, everything could go crashing down, but we were on particularly good terms because of the fact that our families were pretty close. She was the Chief of Medicine in our hospital, which meant that everyone feared her, but oh lord, was she pretty, her body was lean and curvy in all the right places. Gorgeous is an understatement for her, everything about her screamed dominance, Dr. Astrid was the epitome of the female version of Dr. McDreamy. I knocked on her door, "Enter." Her voice was silky smooth like velvet, alluring but dangerous at the same time, my mantra towards her was that don't fall too deep in her clutches or it'll be hard to find a way out. "Good Afternoon Dr. Astrid, how are you doing today?" A weird smile spread on her face as she steepled her long fingers on the papers that were spread on her desk. "I'm doing particularly well today, I have good news for you Violet dear and an irresistible offer for you, please have a seat." I visibly cringed at her, this woman is crazy but I am unaware of her limits because she has none. "That's good to hear Dr. Astrid, I too have a case to present to you from Dr. Amna." She frowned, "I won't tolerate anything from her side, she demands too much." I scowled, "Perhaps it's something important that you need to bring to your attention as the Chief of Medicine." She laid her head back and laughed heartily, "You're too innocent for this cruel world Violet, not one of your best qualities." I gritted my teeth, "Let's talk business Dr. Astrid, the reason you called me yesterday." She got up from her chair and opened the curtains of her office, "I want you to take my offer seriously and don't get fumed all at once." If annoyance was a person, certainly Dr. Astrid would be its perfect embodiment. "I most certainly will listen to you Dr. Astrid, please do tell me I have places to be." She smirked, "Yes, I know." Oh my God, why isn't she telling me. She sat on the desk facing me and leaned in close, "You are being promoted to Professor Violet Emery Carlot of Neurosurgery but I can make this promotion even better." I was literally about to jump in my chair but she put a manicured nail on my lab-coat, "My offer to you is that... one night with your handsome husband and you'll be the Chief of Surgery, dare you reject, you will still be the Professor, the youngest as it's the authority's decision but with my ways, you'll be at the top in no time." Anger and resentment was written all over my face, "Dr. Astrid, who do you think I am to let my husband cheat on me with you." She laughed, "I'm not a fool dear Violet, I know everything about Melanie Marquez and your husband."