Chapter 49

Reed's POV (flashback):
"Astrid I told you that I can't be with you, please stop arguing with me like a child, I have already decided to break up with Melanie, it's-it's not working out between us." There was silence on the other side, "Reed, does that mean you and me can be together, please don't leave, I really really need you." I rubbed my eyes, under the sheer stress, "Look Astrid I am sorry for the things I said at Alexander's party, I wanted to be alone but you kept bugging me, please understand that I have other responsibilities on me as well, I hope you understand." I heard her sigh from the other side and there was a slight sound of sobbing, "Reed please don't go, I need you, please, I love you, I still do." My heart clenched at the sound coming from the receiving end, "Astrid, I loved you too, I loved you with every fibre of my being, your flaws and perfections, every single bit of you but people grow out of their feelings too, I liked Melanie more." 

"Did you love Melanie or her body? Huh? You never told me that, we ended our relationship with a single text, 2 years with a single text." Anger boiled through me and I clenched my teeth, "Astrid, don't forget it wasn't you who cheated with me on Mark and I still cherished you even though my heart ripped apart every time we were close, knowing that you were never fully mine, I still loved you, I fucking loved you till the end of the world." Her sobs grew louder through the other end, "I am happy for you Reed and I am so so sorry, I am glad you found someone like Violet, she respects you and loves you and one time-one time, she refused my offer to be the head-head of surgery after my idea of spending a night with you, she loves you, even-even if she doesn't say it she does." I was utterly shocked at Astrid's statement, being the chief of  surgery was Violet's dream, and she left it for me, no, she couldn't possibly like me. It was nothing but out of pure respect for me, my infatuation and liking towards her became more prominent. "Did-did she really do that?" Astrid caught her breath, "Y-yes." I hung up the phone, pacing around in my office, she couldn't possibly do that. What is it that we have? Friendship?

Present

I had brought Melanie to an expensive breakfast house for lunch, hoping that I could slowly initiate my conversation of breaking up with her, but I had no relationship plans in the future, I solely wanted to focus on my career and further enhance the business empire that I had crafted throughout these years, I needed to put my past behind me. She excitedly held my hand as we walked towards the VIP section, "Babe, I am so happy that you brought me here, we didn't go out for such a long time." I smiled, even though my heart clenched, the same Melanie I loved was brought back into my vision, "Yeah." She frowned, "Why are you being so quiet, is something wrong with me? Oh my god, is my lipstick all smudged up?" I pretended as if I was happy and put my hands on her shoulders, "No babe, you are perfect, come on let's eat." We both sat down and gave our orders, "Babe , what's wrong, tell me please." I smiled, "Nothing Melanie, it's just that I-" Before I could even complete my sentence, I saw a figure sitting in the farther end of the room with a man whom I felt as if I had seen before, Melanie went on her phone which gave me more time to think about where I had seen  her, our eyes locked for a moment; and then it all made sense, it was Violet. Panic was written all over her face as if she had committed a crime and after a few seconds, she walked past by my table, looking at my face for a second and then averting her gaze, I never thought that she was a social butterfly but neither was I jealous; however, I did feel a tinge of happiness, even if she did meet someone that completed her, I was happy. All I want for her is to feel the same way I do when I'm Melanie or the way I did with Astrid.

Violet's POV:

After my suspicions proved to be true, I came back to my seat and saw a giddy expression on Troye's face, "What's gotten into you?" Troye tilted his head and looked at me, "Violet, can I tell you something?" I nodded my head as I sipped my coffee, "Sure Troye, what's up?" He looked at me in the eye, "When I came to this city, I had no expectation of being rebuilt but it's funny how life can surprise you with things, I know I was a jerk to you for most of high school and medical school but I hope that you can see past me now and there might be a chance of us being together, I really like you Violet and I hope you feel the same way about me, can we be together? Help each other become better versions of ourselves?" I was shell-shocked, Troye James just confessed to me but there were a million thoughts racing through my head, "Troye I-I don't understand, this is so sudden, can I have some time to think about this? I hope you don't-" Troye patted my hand, "It's okay Violet, take all the time, I don't want this to be rushed for you." I smiled, "Thank you so much Troye but-" He got up from his chair, "You can take all the time you need Violet, I'll be heading to my shift now, I hope you have a good day." We both waved at each other and then I also left but I noticed how Reed whispered something in Melanie's ear and she left, kissing his cheek. He was the only one sitting on the table; nevertheless, I got up as well and he still sat there, I was apprehensive to pass him but as soon as I walked past him; he grabbed my wrist and I froze in my spot, "I am proud of you Violet, I am glad that you are enjoying yourself." I spoke nothing but we stood there, "He's just a friend." Reed chuckled in his dark tone, "You don't need to give me an explanation."  I looked at him, "I thought you would be angry that I broke the contract, I don't want you to bug my parents with lawsuits." Reed got up, "The contract is already useless, so many terms don't stand anymore, I already proposed to Melanie." I smiled, "But that was something that made you happy." Reed came closer to my face, "But happiness changes over time, don't you think?" With that, he walked out of the door and got in the car with Melanie.