Chapter 29

Violet's POV

"Violet, where did you get that bandage, I never examined any wounds on your body after the kidnapping incident, is everything okay?" Sarah became concerned seeing the white bandage wrapped on my forearm. I just shrugged it off nonchalantly like my life was going smoothly, however it was the exact opposite of what was happening in real life. "I accidentally broke a glass yesterday, that's all, nothing to worry about." Sarah shook her head, "Do me a favor and never act again, so tell me, what happened in real life?" I supported my frame with the door of the forensic lab, "Reed-uh Reed accidentally dropped the glass, I didn't want you to think he abused me." Sarah gasped, "You've got to be kidding me, why did you-ugh! Did you report this?" I rolled my eyes at her, "I said the same thing, I didn't want you to think that he did this on purpose, and look what you did, you got the wrong meaning." Sarah was again lost in looking at the samples with me, "I'm not letting you go that easily, anyways, do you think that Maria has another chance at skydiving?" I looked at the sample closely, "If she exercises regularly, then there is a teeny tiny chance that something good can happen to her." 

At lunch, I had to take a short visit to the apartment to get some lunch made for Reed because I just felt more comfortable that way because it was the least I could do to make him a little guilty for his everyday acts. As I opened the door, I saw Reed lying on the couch, with of course, Melanie. It wasn't like her presence irked me but I was not used to sharing a house with a complete stranger, but of course, it was never a home to me so nothing made sense in this insane world. She was a sleep but Reed was awake, and eyeing me like I had committed a crime. I sat behind them both on the stools which were placed there for the kitchen island. I took out the first aid kit from a drawer which was under the island. I quietly removed the bandage from my arm, unwrapping it softly to not distract them both but before I could make any other move, Reed was standing in front of me. He loosened the last bit in silence while I looked at his eyes which were concentrated on my arm, then he lightly applied the ointment, which was surprisingly correct. He had continuously trained his eyes on his work, just like a surgeon at work. A part of me wanted to push him away but his grip was tight that I tried to get away from, more than one time. Then, finally, he wrapped a fresh gauze around the wound, letting go of my arm. We stared at each other silently when he suddenly came closer, almost instinctively, I pushed him away but he whispered in my ear, "Stop making me feel guilty Violet, stop trying to push me away, I am obeying the contract." Then he quickly got away, "I should get going Reed before you cause me any trouble." My heart had probably been doing somersaults this entire time because I did not know how to process what was happening around me. Without looking back, I closed the door, hiding from all the wrongness that had entered into every empty place of the walls; first, he hated me and then Reed Wilson 2.0 came out. 

Reed's POV

Yesterday, I did not know what to do, almost as if in a trance, I traced the glass piece on her skin, thinking it was my hand and she was Melanie. After our vacation, me and Melanie had been distant in so many ways. Our phone calls were limited but today, after work, I saw her standing at my door, and I touched her face, making sure that this was reality. Things had been almost demanding between me and her, we both hated the circumstances we were tied in but I was slowly starting to be inclined towards Violet, her eyes, oh god, her eyes. They were beautiful but my soon-to be-wife was like a deity straight out of a magical fairytale. But what scared to me the core was whether I loved Melanie or the idea of being with her...

"Hey babe, can you drive me home? My driver isn't here yet." I checked my phone to see the time, it was 12:30 am. "Hey, can you go home tomorrow, I'm not in the mood to drive right now. and its pretty late anyway." Melanie rolled her eyes, "I bet if it was Violet then you wouldn't even think about it for the second time." How could she say that when I literally decided a trip for her to France? Just so she could be happy. "How could you say that Melanie, stop being like every other toxic girlfriend." I was acting like nothing had happened and I was unfazed by everything, glueing my eyes to the phone screen. "You know what Reed, I'm so sick and tired of your everyday excuses to get me out of your life, I should have never accepted your proposal because you're so conceited!" Slowly, drop by drop, anger started to be built up inside of me, "It wasn't fucking Violet for whom I booked a ticket to Europe, it wasn't that shitty Violet who spends millions of my dollars on just shopping, for god's sake Melanie, stop acting like a child." She had clenched her hands in fists, "Child! Me! Fuck you Reed!" Then, she stormed outside the apartment. But I didn't feel any pain, the love of my life had walked away.