Chapter 46

Violet's POV

"You should've told me before, I could have helped you, I should have stayed; we were friends." I hated this- why was Troye taking the guilt for everything that was happening in my life right now and he did not have to reprimand himself, "You shouldn't worry too much about me Troye, its not your fault that I was dragged into this mess, its only me that is to blame." Troye scrunched his face, "Why do you take things like these personally? But you should have stood up for yourself, this is not the Violet I know." Then it struck me, how naive I was, but I needed time, time to figure out myself. But I thought that this would help me, but all it did was break me, how could he? "Yeah, I guess." I fidgeted with the sleeve of my coat, feeling uncomfortable. "We can change the topic if you want.' Really, I didn't want this discussion to go on further. "My break is over, I guess I'll be heading back to the hospital now." With that, I grabbed my handbag and headed for the doo, before Troye stopped me, "I am sorry if I said something offensive Violet, I never meant to hurt your feelings." I grimaced, "Troye you should have understood my situation and been a little empathetic instead of blaming it on my character, I had to do it for my parents." Troye sighed, "You should have told me before Violet, I would have never been this apathetic."

"I know it's not your fault Troye but my life has been so turbulent this week, I just needed a break but it always comes back to my marriage that wasn't even a choice." A grim expression settled on his face, "Have you ever talked about this with your parents?" I shook my head, "They wouldn't understand, Dad was caught in an assassination attempt and I've been quiet with him ever since." 

"Should I drive you back? My car's just around the corner." I was courteous, "No thank you Troye, I am sure you have others thing to tend to, anyways it was nice meeting you." A smile appeared on his face, "Likewise, Ultraviolet." I raised my hands up in frustration, "Troye!" He laughed, "Go hurry, you don't wanna be late." With a big grin on my face, I went back to the hospital, but my happiness turned to concern as I saw Sarah seated on the farthest chair in the hospital waiting room, at that moment, I rushed up to her, not even thinking twice. "Sarah, is everything okay?" She was startled to see me, "Huh!" I calmed her down, "It's okay Sarah, you were sitting here all alone, is everything okay?" She grimaced, "I'm great, just had a meltdown, don't worry Violet, I'll call you later tonight, your shift has continued." I patted her back, "I'm in my office if you ever need anything." Then, I walked away to my office but there was a letter on my desk by Astrid saying that the neuro department had done the assigned work and I could go back home if I wanted to do. I sighed, today was the day I really wanted to work but at the same time, I needed a break from the mess I was trapped in. With that, I drove back home, cursing the traffic on my way back, I hate living in New York but what can you do, some things you can't change. I parked my car outside the apartment complex and went inside to see the same elderly couple I saw a few days ago, leaving with heaps and heaps of bags around them. I never expected them to move away and that hurt me- how they grew old together here and all the memories they made here, a shudder travelled down my spine. I pressed floor 20 on the elevator button and waited patiently, in silence. I don't know how but suddenly a memory came in and flooded my senses, it felt like yesterday. 

It was the 24th of August, 2015, and I was sitting alone on a bench back in medical school, writing my journal when suddenly a couple came and sat beside me. That musk- I could identify it anywhere in the world- it was the male version of HBIC, Troye James. The nerdy doctor with good looks that got all the girls, with his girlfriend, Maria. Unexpectedly, they started kissing right in front of me, I started gagging. "Real player move Troye, third or fifth this week?" I could see his glare pierce right through me and he stopped, then he whispered something in his girlfriend's ear. "Thank you Violet, can you for once not spoil everything." I chuckled, "Hey, I'm just merely stating the facts." Troye rolled his eyes, "You do the studying and I do both, let's make a deal?" I looked at his hand, "No thank you Sir." Troye got up from his position, "You'll regret this later, you don't find friends like me in this world." With that, he saluted me and jogged off. It was at that moment, I realized how bad I wanted him to be my friend, but I could never, what if I caught feelings but I just wanted him to be the person I wanted to talk to but...

I was brought out of my trance with the elevator door opening and then I rushed towards my apartment and fumbled for the keys in my bag, finally, I found them. It was an actual adventure looking for them. I turned the door knob and walked inside, to see the maid cleaning the lounge area and there was the faint sound of music from Reed's room which meant that he was home. It was 3' o clock in the evening but he was never around at this time. I felt bad for Reed, we hadn't talked for a long time, especially since breakfast today, we weren't enemies, no we weren't but it was wrong, for him to take advantage of me but we both got lost in the heat of the moment- at least nothing of the wrong sorts happened. "Good afternoon Sasha." She smiled back, "Good morning ma'am, I hope you had a good day." With that, I went into my room and plopped down on the bed, but then I remembered that I had to change my clothes so I decided to take a quick shower and changed into a black turtleneck, brown vest coat, culottes and formal shoes. "Ping!" As I was brushing my hair, I heard my phone make a notification sound. I saw Troye's number on the screen so I opened my phone, "Hey, I'm coming to pick you up at 6, there's a place I want to show you." 

I smiled, he was such a dork. I checked my watch, it was 4' o clock so I decided to sleep for some time before he came to pick me up, 5 years later. The only person I did not want to hate but I did. With that thought, I fell into a deep slumber. 

"Violet Emery Carlot, you have been ranked number one for the Harvard Medical School ranking, congratulations. Troye James, you have been ranked second, congratulations." The announcer's voice blared through the speakers as I walked up the stairs to receive my reward. My eyes caught Troye's furious face and I gulped, what was wrong with that dude. "TTTTTTIIIING" I heard a weird noise through the speakers, like my alarm clock. 

I rubbed my eyes and woke up and checked the time to be 5:30 pm; I redid my hair and took out all the crinkles from my clothes, chose a Burberry crossbody bag and packed my phone. I spent the remaining time to complete my presentation and exactly at 6:02 pm, I heard my phone ring. "Hey Violet, I'm outside, I want you to bring your guitar with you as well when you come outside." I chuckled, "I hope you're not kidnapping me." I heard him sigh too, "God Violet, why are you so cynical?" I walked outside to see Reed sitting on the lounge sofa, mindlessly, switching through the television channels. "Reed, I'm going out with my friend, I'll be a little late." He nodded his head but whispered something like, "You like nice." But I ignored it and walked outside the apartment complex to see a really fancy black Audi waiting for me, I opened the car door and sat in, "Hi Troye."