Chapter 38

Hello Readers! Hope you all are doing well, now this book is getting interesting;) It would really mean a lot if you guys could comment on this chapter as it really motivates me when you guys interact with the story. Keep reading as it will be a roller-coaster ride from now on, every chapter is going to be an adventure. Please vote and above all, comment❤️

Violet's POV

"What-what do you know about Melanie and Reed, Dr. Astrid?" I looked at the beauty before me, a smug smile on her face that was laced with desire and primitive hunger which was unpleasant for me, but it shouldn't as he was not my husband but a pathetic excuse to that. "You really don't know him, don't you?" With fury in my eyes I replied, "Most certainly you know it's my husband that you're talking all this about?" She laughed heartily, "I know the kind of husband my dear Reed is, and not a very good one at that." 

"Cut to the chase Dr. Astrid." She went back to her chair and steepled her fingers forward in a triangular position, "Reed and I dated for about 2 years before he met Melanie Marquez, we were both in different programs, he was completing his MBA and I was in my medical training but we were lovebirds, always finding ways to be together, before..." She stopped mid-sentence as she was relishing something in her past, a treasured memory that had been long lost but now solely replaced with lust. "Before that bitch Melanie appeared in the picture, he went to a magazine interview for Forbes and saw her on the shoot, I don't know what happened but we broke off after that day." My mind needed time to register everything I had heard right now, you've got to be kidding me, my senior doctor has dated my husband (well-on contract), I felt the weight of the statement. "Dr. Astrid, I respect you, but Reed is Melanie's wouldn't that be cheating on her, albeit the fact that he isn't with me, how would you justify that?" She heaved a sigh, "Violet, you take things so literally, judging by your own principles when they're too social constructs, learn to live a little." Her argument was baseless, "You too have principles Dr. Astrid but what I'm talking about is morality, the basic bond that ties two lovers." She clearly disregarded me, "So I take your answer is no in convincing Reed." I gawked at her, "It was pretty obvious Dr." 

She laughed heartily, "Oh lord, but congratulations on becoming Professor, your new office will be open to you tomorrow, listen to me carefully and for once, you'll once find that Reed is attached to you but that is going to be a phase, don't fall in too deep, he's one handsome person, it'll be irresistible to let go of his love." I chuckled, "I believe that you're talking to someone who's very inexperienced in the love department, so don't attach any expectations with me." She chuckled, "But it's dangerous, falling in love for the first time, magical, but I believe you sweet-heart, your determination out-shines everything." I smiled, "Thank you for believing in me and I wanted to tell you that Dr. Amna is facing burn-out and she really needs a break for 2-3 days, I was wondering if I could advocate her case..." A grin spread on her face, "Of course, send her in." I got up from my chair and was about to leave when she brought me back to reality, "Remember what I said Violet, you'll need it in the future, with your personality, Reed will find it hard to resist you." I blushed, "Yeah right." As soon as the door closed, everything flowed away, I had a lot of questions, I was beyond fuming, was my worth because of my husband, that was unacceptable. I checked my watch, it was 7:30 pm so I decided to head back home as I had a surgery filled day tomorrow. 

Silence.

The ride back home was silent as I drove through the dark city, I wanted to confront Reed so bad, if I could, I would not hesitate to break a few bones but I controlled my anger, God knows but there was going to be a storm today. I reached the apartment complex and greeted the guards who smiled at me, was it because of Reed? Perks of a billionaire husband. I wanted to puke after saying that but God lord if my anger could be bottled up, it would be more acidic than sulphuric acid. I stomped inside the elevator and laid my back against it, "You're about to be dead tonight Reed Wilson." 

10 steps away from the door.

One

Two

Three 

Four

Five

My heart is racing in my chest.

Six

It's eating me up alive, the guilt of being lied to.

Seven

Eight

God knows how I feel right now, denial and resentment.

Nine

Ten.

I fumbled for the keys in my purse and hurriedly opened the door, and saw Reed on the couch with his girlfriend, that hurt me even more, I am married to a play-boy, all these months, I was in the dark, nine months to be exact. "Why did you do this Reed?" It almost came out in a whisper, a tortured one that shook you to the core. He and Melanie both got up from the couch, his icy and cold eyes darted towards me as I supported my frail body with the door, at this point, I feel every part of me giving way, I don't know how to process these emotions but I do not want to be weak. In these cacophony of voices, I have no idea which voice is screaming for me. "I thought you'd come home late today," Reed spoke through gritted teeth. "What else have you been hiding from me?" Anger was visible from his voice, "Cut to the chase Violet, what do you want?" Now, my patience was over and there was no exhaustion inside my veins, "What the fuck do I want? How long have you been fooling me? How the hell do you know Astrid Hensley!" His pupils dilated as he savored the name, almost as if he was slowly tasting it. "Wha- what about her?" I laughed hysterically, looking probably like a maniac, "She's my fucking boss Reed and Astrid still remembers you, how could you keep this away from me?" Melanie too had something to say, "Why are you polluting the mind of my husband, nobody cares, go away bitch!" Now, that was it. "BITCH, ME? I am literally the one stopping other people from objectifying and flinging with your fiance and your stupid mind calls me a bitch, have you ever defended him?!" She stood there in silence whilst Reed backed her away with his hand, "Stop sugar-coating things Violet." 

"SUGAR COATING, ME? Astrid Hensley wanted to spend the night with you and make me Chief of Surgery in return, I stopped her, you dated all these people, you could have had the liberty to tell me once Reed but you didn't, all this stress is killing me!" He took a calm and collected breath, "What else did she say Violet?" He had amazing anger management skills, "I don't know Reed, I don't understand what's happening, the reason why I'm defending you and everything, you dated her for two years in college during your MBA." Melanie grew pale, "You dated someone before me, for two years?" Reed was not showing even a single emotion, "Calm down Melanie." He heaved a sigh, "Violet listen, Astrid Hensley is a dangerous woman and she doesn't hesitate in what she wants, and she would kill for what her heart desires." I scoffed, "That means I'm going to die this time." I walked away from the scene but he gripped my wrist hard, "You don't understand Violet, Astrid is a dangerous woman with underlying motives, she'll hurt you." I frowned, "And why should I believe you and above all, why do you care?" His jaw twitched, "If you want to get killed then I'm happy, I don't want to get in the way." He let go and I walked towards my room, slamming the door. 

Stay strong Violet, don't cry for such stupid liars who don't have the courage to come clean. I lay on my bed and drifted off to sleep, it was such a deep slumber that I forgot to lock the door. I heard it open and a person knelt beside me, I was awake but at the same time, fast a sleep. "Reed is that you?" I asked, almost in a pleading whisper. "Yes Violet it's me." I chuckled, "Why doesn't it surprise me that you're a play-boy." There was silence, perhaps he didn't respond. "What hurt me most is that you could have lied." He shifted, "About what?" I sleepily sighed, "Your vow stated that you'll be with me through thick and thin, and you'd never lie, but you could have just lied and saw it through with me." Reed placed his head on the mattress, "You're tired Violet, go to sleep." I groaned, "But you didn't answer me." He sighed, "I don't lie Violet, when it comes to emotions, I don't want you to get hurt in my clutches, our marriage is already a liability in church, I can't let everything be fake." I laughed, "But you're here, that means you care, are you lying right now?" He got up and closed the door, "It's taking all my will-power to be honest with you but I can't because there's already someone in my life." I shifted my position, "But is she lying to you, would she sell you to get something better in my life?" With that, the door closed.