Chapter 33

Violet's POV

"I still don't get why you would want to take me instead of Melanie." I have questions and a lot of them, most are unanswered and I need to find out the root cause of each and every one of them. "Is your answer yes or no?" He glued his eyes to the computer screen. "Call me indecisive but I'm still not sure about what my reply should be, you sound rather fishy." Reed looked up at me, his eyes boring right into my soul, it was indeed one of his tricks to get a "yes" from me but I was better than him at mind games, "If you think that staring at me will get an affirmative answer from me then you'll be sorely disappointed." Reed stood up from his chair, "Remember Violet, you're breaking one of the terms of the contract, and if one term is broken, then I won't hesitate to dissolve it." I chuckled sarcastically, "Then you'll dissolve the marriage along with the contract." There was silence in the room, an uneven tension had gripped every crevice of the office. "Just this once Violet, please come with me to the ball, I promise you won't have to do anything that you don't want to do, believe in me for once Violet." Believe in him, he was a sadist and liar. "Never till the end of the world will I believe in you, Reed." I stormed out of his office, who did he think he was, I was definitely not his side-chick who could go with him every time he wanted. "Violet, just listen to me, I promise I'll give you the explanation you want, just one chance!" I stopped, maybe he did deserve one more chance at redemption because I remember him saving my life once. "You have 15 seconds, and I'll tell you one thing, I'm not your side-chick for the public, go to hell if you think that's the case." He sighed, "I respect you beyond words Violet, I would never make you my chick, let alone a side-chick, I just wanted to get to know you." I stared at him, like it was the end of the world, I was glaring daggers at him. "Real sweet Reed, we can never fit in, lets treat everything as a compromise, I go my way, you go your way." With that, I headed back home. Today was already a mess and since work for me ended at lunch time, I knew that it was no point staying back because everything would turn into a quarrel between us. I stormed inside the apartment, closing the door behind me, probably our neighbours would have woken up, I took a long shower and settled for a black loose long shirt and tights. Baggy clothes were my signature items because I was definitely not fond of showing my body or revealing something just for others to see, maybe that was made me different from all other girls. I completed my assignments from work and even talked to some patients that were having doubts or were afraid of getting a MRI scan because of the dreaded environment there. I heard the main door open, which meant that Reed was home, it was 7:30 pm already which meant that I had to make some coffee for myself and that meant it was time to go to the balcony. Reed was watching the television whilst I silently boiled some water and added really strong coffee beans to the warm concussion. There was occasional sound from the television that distracted me, but the urge to see the New York City skyline from my balcony kept me up, I was definitely not shy but there was uncertainty between everything that was happening. "Hey Violet, can I join you for coffee on the balcony, that is if you don't mind?" My breath hitched in my throat, did Reed really say that. "Yeah sure, I'll get some ready right now." I prepared another cup in a hurry, not to keep him waiting. The balcony was a relaxing place, I had put fairy lights on top of the grey sofa and there were vintage sayings on the wall as well, it was quite aesthetic. We both entered the balcony, there was silence but fog from our cups that we held ever so gently. "I just wanted to make some things clear between us, look I'm sorry if I made you feel like a side-chick Violet, that was never my intention." I looked at the road beneath me, how comfortable everything looked and the way people spent their day, walking hand in hand. "I know what your intentions are Reed, you don't need to remind me." Awkward silence. "Violet, I-I want to change things between us, can we at least be friends, the way we were before." Bile rose in my stomach, friends, people who trust each other blindly. "I-I can't Reed." Reed looked in my eyes, "The past chases us everywhere Violet, but you have to look beyond that Violet." Panic gripped my insides, "You don't know anything about what pain is Reed, you haven't lost as much as I have, each day I have to be trapped in the mess of your life, getting kidnapped and not being able to talk to my parents." Reed put down his cup on the table, "It's time we get a fresh start, would you like to be my partner to the ball." I scoffed, "Real smart Reed." He stared at me unblinking, "I am dead serious Violet, give me one chance, this time I'll make things right." Still, I was not impressed but what could go wrong this time, probably my sanity but that would not be a problem since it was already on the brink of extinction. "You better not mess this up now Reed." I sipped from my coffee. A smirk spread on his face, "Looks like Ms. Hard To Get really was charmed by me." I laughed sarcastically, "Keep dreaming." The rest of the night passed away in silence, until we parted ways as usual, the beautiful pattern of our mistakes.